HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    E.R. Y

Can I sell my ebook on all the ebook sites? i.e. Sony, Kindle, Nook

Are there any restrictions regarding selling my ebook on several sites?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Re: Can I sell my ebook on all the ebook sites? i.e. Sony, Kindle, Nook

You not only can, you should. If you publish through Smashwords.com, your book is available in most ebook formats and will be listed on a number of sites. If you've already put it up on (let's say) Amazon, you just list your book as the "Smashwords edition" instead of "Published at Smashwords."

Tony Khong

There is no restrictions on selling ebooks on various ebook sites simultaneously, if that's what you want to know.

Yes. Smashwords.com provides all of the said sites. The author (I believe when all is said and done) is 69%

imported_David Stidham

Just curious, why don't authors consider selling their book on their own site? Why use all these others? I have a client who's on Amazon but you can't find her book in the amazon search even when you type the books title. Type the books title in Google and it's #1. What is the point of being on Amazon, or any of these others? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm seriously asking the question. The only benefit I can see is with a topical search but your not likely to sell a whole lot of books that way anyway.

imported_David Stidham

Clarification...when I said you search Google and it's #1, I meant her site is #1 where she sells her book. It ranks higher than Amazon's page for her book. On Yahoo, Amazon's page for her book is #1 and her site is #2. She would be better off not being on Amazon for those searches because someone may buy it from Amazon instead of her and she looses money when they buy from Amazon.

How many people can find her site? How many hits does her site get per day? Amazon and B&N get visitors in the millions, that is why you want your book on their sites.

RW

Ahhh.....my post which is listed 2nd in line above should have appeared here. Sorry about that.

RW

When used properly, distributors get your work before more readers. And keep track of sales numbers. And can give you ISBNs.

I like Smashwords, myself, though it can't yet distribute to Amazon. I upload to Amazon and Smashwords. There's a slight royalty cut to have Smashwords distribute to B&N rather than going directly through PubIt, but I've played with PubIt and decided I'd rather just let Smashwords handle it.

The main restriction I can think of is that you need an ISBN for some distributors (Smashwords can help with that), and that you need to keep the pricing consistent across distributors.

I think the best way to go here is to use Smashwords to publish everywhere except for B&N and Kindle (deselect the options), the publish directly to B&N and Kindle. It doesn't take that much more time and if it's been formatted properly for Smashwords, it's good to go on B&N and Amazon. By doing it this way, the author gets a higher profit and better exposure.