HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tony F

What is a good word or few words for a vaguely defined, field-like spiritual substance that the human soul can experience?

For example, I have thought of "ether" and "the force", but I am wondering if you have more creative ideas.

A good metaphor for what I am thinking of would be a sort of "electric field for the soul", a field that the human soul both reacts to and interacts with, much like how a proton would both affect and be affected by a surrounding electric field.

Any atheists on this forum should note that this is a purely literary question; I am looking for a way to express a human notion in English words. I am NOT claiming that such a thing exists.

Re: What is a good word or few words for a vaguely defined, field-like spiritual substance that the human soul can experience?

Re: What is a good word or few words for a vaguely defined, field-like spiritual substance that the human soul can experience?

I think Stan's suggest has merit.

If you want something a bit more offbeat, unusual...mebbe efflux.

Cur

What sort of sentence did you have in mind? Maybe something with the word "essence"?

It's said that everything is energy consisting of various rates of vibrations. Are you looking for a word that describes a merging with the Divine Light?

Yeah, aura sounds good. (Just read Stan's post.)

*_*

Yeah, if it's something that surrounds one person, aura is probably the best way to go. If you're looking more for some single field that extends throughout the universe and interacts with everyone...ether or astral field should work. Don't know if you were looking to people to make up terms; you could have real fun with it and call it Empyrean Fire or some such thing.

I know you aren't actually considering using "the force." To say it's already been used would be a massive understatement.

Cat

Ether sounds perfect - the fifth element after earth, water, fire, and air.

Cat

Or pnevmaplasm.

Orrrrrr, there are several words for spirit, etc. In Greek that could work as prefixes for -plasm. I started fiddling with it, but hey, it's your book. :-)

Phlogiston. Ether. Miasma. or you could make a word up, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do that because people invent different words everyday.

Thanks a lot Julius and cat, lol. Just spent minutes I will never get back researching Phlogiston (which at least I could find) and pnevma plasm, for which I only found blog spots by a person naming themselves Pnevma....:S

Well, I'll count those as my two new words I learned today.