HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Joe Zeff

Joe Zeff

This is the site I mentioned to you:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filter_quick=active

I think it's pretty cool that artists can ask for help this way. I know you don't want to, but I thought you might like to see it anyway. I have a friend who has used it once and is about to do so again with a new project. It seems to be effective if you don't need a ton of money.

Re: Joe Zeff

Thank you. I don't know if you were here when I was working on a query for my first book but it starts off with Hollywood and environs getting blacked out on a Saturday night, badly enough that you can see the Milky Way. I've found a photo of Orion on Wikipedia that will serve and is free to use (with attribution) and have asked an artist friend for advice on color for the lettering. With that, I should be able to create an eye-catching cover, and that's important especially when potential readers are browsing an on-line catalog with little to go by but the thumbnails of the covers.

Now, what's going to be really interesting is writing the blurb. We've all compared queries with back cover blurbs, but how many of us have written any?

Re: Joe Zeff

I've never agreed with the idea that the main paragraphs of a query should match a cover blurb, because the audience is entirely different. Agents have read everything. The public is reading to be excited by a single paragraph and buy the book.

I haven't written back cover blurbs, but I've written a bunch of blurbs for websites, films, that kind of stuff. It's challenging. But I think if you keep the audience in mind, you'll have no problem doing it.