HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Simple grammar

Re: Simple grammar

Oh, that's a lovely little summary, John!! Things we used to learn in gradeschool -- the early years, yet.

I'm not so much worried about "who" vs. "whom." The latter has (sadly) largely become an affectation.

But there are others...

I never want to see alot typed out again.

Or her's -- really??

I once made a bet that, if I'm reading a manuscript & the writer uses either "comprised" or "composed of," in 9 cases of 10 they made the wrong choice.

Since then, I've actually seen comprised of.

The word decimated should be banned, or at least officially recognised as a degenerative symptom. The original meaning is (rough transliteration) "destroying one in ten." It slipped to mean something like "destroyed a large percentage." Now, it's become not just a synonym for but a replacement for devastated -- maybe folks just can't pronounce "v" anymore.

Objects should be taught better. On the 10:00 news last week, I heard three comments along the lines that "ten million dollars were spent" (in this case referring to a flood-protection plan).

I can almost overlook someone saying Her and me are going to discuss this, but the mannered affectation of That's between she and I makes me want to scream & throw stuff.

A few months ago I actually saw the local newspaper using the "word" incented (for "provided an incentive" ). I gleefully tore the paper to shreds.

note: what we're discussing here is narrative gaffes. None of these things is necessarily "wrong" when used in dialogue because, gods help us, people DO talk that way.

Irregardless, Anthony...

Hi Anthony,

All those who launched the new WN last fall are said to be here for only eight months Dunno why. I think the only way we can read clever comments from years ago is to click on the advanced search at the upper right of the screen.

Here's a link to the profiles of you two guys:

http://www.writers.net/seek/index.ph...target=writers

Edited to say it looks like put this in the wrong thread.

*_*

I don't recall anyone mentioning "a lot" and believe me, i've even seen teachers incorrectly write it as "alot." This one drives me insane. Along with the to, too, and two. (How anybody messes those up is beyond me).

I am of the "two spaces" after a period generation. But, I was reading on some agents blog, that your editor will really, really love you if you cut those two spaces down to one. Because, someone's got to do it. They also don't like the "tab" for indentations. They want indent. set to margin space .5.

Anywhoo - really good advice here.

Yes, one space between sentences. I beta read for a few folks and I can't tell you how hard it is to get them to do this (especially since it's just a matter of tweaking your preferences). As for the indentation...I just hit my tab key and my paragraph starts where I want it to start. It's magic!

I two, have had difficulties with allott, in fact, four aslong as I can remember.