HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

It's getting tempting...

I was talking to one of my writer friends, last night. He pointed out that when he started out, back in the'70s, books were shorter, prices were lower and a new writer could expect an advance between five and ten thousand dollars. Now, books are somewhat longer, prices are much higher and advances are half of what they were.

He also said that his daughter has just written a book. Being a skilled editor by trade, she was able to get the book ready on her own, so instead of going the traditional route she's put it up on Amazon as an ebook, priced at $3. AFAIK, the only publicity has been his mentioning the book on his website, along with the fact that it takes place in "his SF universe." The book has sold between 800 and 1000 copies in the first two weeks, and she keeps 70% of the price.

It's getting tempting...

Re: It's getting tempting...

I am not surprised. I read that Amazon sold 13 million Kindles during the Christmas season. Everyone with a new reading device, whether its a Kindle or one of the others, wants new books to read.

RW

My book comes out this fall. So far I've earned over four hundred thousand in advances. My book is going to be translated into six different languages so far.

If I can do it, so can others.

So forgive me but I get annoyed when people make comments about how advances are terrible and new writers should go the self-published route because of that.

From what I've seen, most self-published books sell ok the first month and then go steadily downhill. Even with a huge amount of marketing, they still don't do as well.

Arden, are you a well-published, veteran author? Or is this your first? If you're well-published, I can see where you already have the fan base to command such a high advance. But that is not the norm, is it?

I meant "many-times published and well-known" - somehow it contracted into "much-published."

Arden, the friend I mentioned is a Big Name Pro. I've mentioned his name here before, but I'd rather have his ideas discussed on their merit, not their origin. He's co-written several books that were in the top ten on the NYT Best Seller List BTW, so he probably knows something about writing. I'm fairly sure that if his daughter had wanted to go the traditional route, he could have gotten her MS considered by at least one publishing house, but I from what he's said, that never interested her. He's seriously considering getting more of his and his co-author's books out again in electronic editions because he thinks it's The Way Of The Future. If he's willing to consider changing his ways to match the times, maybe you should be too. I don't know, yet, which way I'll go, but as I said, I'm tempted.

And, before I forget, Arden, your last comment is right on. My friend's attitude is, "It's done well so far, but we don't know if sales will keep up or not. We'll just have to wait and see."

Self-Publishing is a very attractive option. I don't blame you for considering it. I think it's totally cool. It's the literary equivalent of making an independent film. Why wait for permission to see your work in print? Life is short, and the time for being snobbish about self-publishing has passed.

Arman Khodaei

I hate to say this, but I just don't see myself going down the self-published road. I would probably never release my book if I couldn't get any agents/publishing houses interested in it. That would tell me that their just isn't a big enough interest for my book or that my writing style isn't good enough.

Borders Group recently announced it is delaying payment to publishers. This is thought to mean Borders is refusing to pay publishers because it is preparing for bankruptcy. Don't be shocked if your local Borders bookstore closes soon. There goes all that shelf space for print books.

Ebook shelf space will be unaffected.

RW

Lea,
    It is my first novel.