HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries

Re: L.A. Times Article re Self-Publishing

Oh, man, I would have loved those listening booths. I worked at a B Dalton in high school. I loved working Saturdays because I got off at 7. After all day in the bookstore I'd clock out, find all the interesting books I'd rung up for others, and find a sofa until closing.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Keith, the listening booths were so dreamy. And the employees didn't rush you. As long as nobody was waiting to hear a record, you could stay in there all day, just listening. I remember sitting there with my two girlfriends and listening to Herbie Mann at the Village Gate.

My first experience with those booths was in London, England when I was a hitchhiking hippie in 1971. What bliss! I brought Yes' debut album back home with me.

Yeah, I remember the freestanding record stores and the listening booths, $4 albums, $6 concert tickets, 30 cents a gallon gas, $1,800 for a NEW car, and paying $50 a month for rent. All gone.

RW

My first place when I left home was a beautiful little guest house. $85 per month. Utilities paid. I could barely afford it. Years later, they raised the rent to $100 per month and apologized for having to do it.

Those were the days.

I shelled out $100 a month for my first (one-room) apartment. It was in NYC on West 74th Street. Yikes, who knew! The joint was furnished with a horrible green greasy rug (which I arranged to have removed) and a miserable saggy bed. I returned one day and found the door bashed in and my iron, radio and camera missing. Place was totally ransacked, but it seems that's all they considered valuable. :-(

Yeah, those were the "build character" days all right.

*_*

I got robbed, too. A guy I refused to sleep with broke in and stole everything. It was so disturbing.

I guess I always drove men wild. Ha. Ha. Ha freakin' ha.

One of my early-days-hard-living stories involved a cockroach-infested, hooker/wino haven of a rooming house in Vancouver when I was 19. My room cost $6 week. ("Sundays are free," cackled the toothless old landlord.) The room had a hotplate and a radio and thousands of cockroaches. I learned to sleep and walk around with my pant legs tucked into my socks.

But blond Lebanese hash was only $60/ounce and there was lots of free music and cheap coffe houses. Those were the days!