HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

L.A. Times Article re Self-Publishing

Re: L.A. Times Article re Self-Publishing

Yeah, that'll work for the (roughly) 0.25% of writers who have already carved out a successful career and built a loyal following (thanks to traditional publishing).

But it doesn't change a thing when it comes to newbs. They'll still be standing on a tiny, lonely soapbox in the incomparably vast Hyde Park of the Interweb and be lucky to flog a handful of books a year.

You can also bet that we'll start seeing new, more-tightly-controlled language in future publishing contracts regarding reversion of rights, so they can keep their stars on board for a longer time.

The future is here and, for writers, it is self publishing. I will be doing it this year.

FYI Frank-an unknown writer named Amanda Hocking started self publishing her books in early 2010 and has sold over 100,000 copies thus far. So it seems to work even for newbs if the book is good, or at least desirable.

RW

There's always exceptions, Robert. And there's always somebody that wins the lottery. And I think the odds of succeeding are similar when it comes to self-pubbed fiction by a newbie without a platform.

Self-pubbing is a viable tool in a lot of situations. I just don't think book-length fiction is one of them (except as a last resort).

It's going to happen whether we like it or not. The paper publishing industry is going to continue to shrink, and many a good writer will be lost in the process without self-publishing. As I wrote in another post, it's like insisting on a vinyl record. Those days are over.

I think the switch from print to ebooks will be quite similar to the switch from film cameras to digital cameras.

RW

Leslee, when's the last time you were in a record store? Vinyl is back! Every electronics store I've been to lately is selling turntables again. It seemed like a fad five years ago but now, many cds are being re-released on vinyl.

Anyway, it's no skin off my buns if someone wants to self-publish. It's their life, their time and their money. But I suspect even if I live another 25 years, I'll be going to my grave saying it should be a very last resort for any serious writer of novel-length fiction.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries

I still say no digital file can reproduce the warm sound vinyl, a great needle and a set of tubes oozes out.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Exactly why so many audiophiles are going back to vinyl, Keith. CDs are great in the crisp n' clean department but they lack richness, especially in the bottom.

"Leslee, when's the last time you were in a record store?"

If you have a record store near you, congratulations. The ones in my area closed down because folks are buying their music online. I have to take quite a drive to get to the two that are still standing. The first is dinky, with very limited selections, and employees so unpleasant that it isn't worth a trip. The second is big and has a great selection, but I've been told they're going out of business, too. Sad. I used to spend hours in record stores.

When I grew up, there was a store called Wallach's Music City at the corner of Sunset and Vine. They had open sample albums and listening booths. You could sit there all day and listen to music in a glass booth, and you couldn't hear anything from outside. Just music. It was bliss. I always bought records after a listening session. It was so cool.

If you're trying to make the case that vinyl will magically replace the technology that makes it possible to listen to music anytime, anywhere, because turntables are for sale . . . Well, I think you know that isn't true. I love vinyl records, but you can't play them when you jog. And I love paper books, but it's obvious that they are becoming less viable financially and ecologically. Yes, there will always be paper books. But, like records, it ain't going to be what it used to be. And the sooner writers accept the changes, the sooner they'll be published in other venues.