HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's with the language?

Dear Industry Professionals,

I realise that most of us are noobs and have no idea what we're doing. That's the point of joining these sorts of forums you dolts!

Stop telling us that we're trolls or that our work is so **** you couldn't be bothered reading past the second sentence. Don't give us standard replies and stop telling us that we're idiots - we already know that!

If we were actually international bestselling authors who are busy researching for our next book and film combined deal to spin out a book in the next sixteen months, do you think we'd be on this bloody forum asking all these "noobie" questions?

If this forum is supposed to be set up to give new writers "constructive" feedback, then what's with all the name calling and value judgements and assumptions that more than half of us are scammers and automated robots?

From very disillusioned forum browser

Agreed!

This forum has not progressed very well since I last visited a year or two ago. But it still has potential and for my part, although I'm not really an industry professional, I vow to only provide honest but helpful critiques and to abstain when I can't do that.

One thing you are learning (and a valuable lesson it is!) is not to expect the publishing industry to reach out and welcome and coddle you. There are going to be jerks everywhere who get off on giving scathing critiques and it will be up to you to avoid them, ignore them or deal with them as politely as possible.

And as for those scathing jerks, it is to my shame that I know all about and understand why they do what they do. To them I say, Grow up, people. Take it from me, you'll feel much better about yourself.

martin shaw

Re: What's with the language?

Way ta go, Patrick

Yeah. Frickin' regulars...taking time out of their day to nurture talent and prick over-inflated egos...rotten bassets. You know what you oughtta do, Patrick?

Quiet. It was rhetorical.

I'll tell you.

You should flounce. Just pick up your pencils and flat-out leave! Never come back. That'll show 'em...yeah...they'll all be sorry when you're gone...

And then...and then...like, down the road a year or heck, maybe it'll take longer, let's say three...yeah...in three years, when you're frickin' famous as anything, you could just waltz back here sometime and spit on 'em...

Yeah.

Spit on 'em. That would be majorly cool.

In the meantime, console yourself with the knowledge that your work still hangs today on your Mother's fridge. And nobody can take away that A you got in Composition your final year. Well, A- but who's counting?

You da' man. Where's that thumbs-up smiley when you need it?

#####

Now, seriously Patrick. Grow a pair. Yeah, sometimes you'll get smart-assed remarks that may not be 100% deserved. That'll happen in rl too. As someone noted above, publishing is not a game for wimps. Quite often though, those that feel the sharp edge of our keyboards deserve same, and you may come to understand that if you hang around long enough.

That said, it was good that you stood up on your hind legs and whined like a man. Out in the open. So regs like me could carve you a new one.

I don't recall reading anything of yours but judging by your tantrum, you may some talent.

Keep at it. Maybe you'll make it.

You are so sexist it's not even funny. You're assuming that all writers are "men" that they have a *edited by Mod* and you're telling all the women to go and grow a pair. Why don't you try pushing a child out of your *edited by Mod*!

In case you didn't notice, Patrick Jane, Frank didn't say what kind of pair you should grow. If you are, as you're implying, of the female persuasion, maybe you should grow a pair of grown-up breasts. If you're just trying to impress us with your "grown up vocabulary," you obviously have me confused with somebody who gives a flying flip of the fingertip. If you want respect here, you have to earn it with your writing, not your ranting.

"Why don't you try pushing a child out of your *edited by Mod*!"

What's with the language?

Oh, wait. You already asked that question, didn't you?

Wow.

Always illuminating to see the whines. This thread begins with two.

I dunno what the OP's prollem is. I don't read all the threads, but I guess she/he didn't like whatever was said.

Then, Gentle Reader wades in with her/his seminal thoughts. I note that in another thread today GR said something about throwing another OP's post against the wall if it didn't fit what she liked. I'm paraphrasing, but think I'm pretty close. GR, perhaps you need to navel-gaze about your handle. Your preachy post didn't work for this reader. If I wanted to be preached at, I'd sit at Thumper's knee.

As someone, Keith, I think, said recently, if you want happy smiles and cartoon gifs applauding your writing there are plenty of sites offering that. If you actually want to learn a little bit about writing, this is a venue where you'll get useful comments. You'll also get some that ain't. You gotta separate one from the other.

The regulars here devote time to trying to help. Some comments are short. Others are longer. Sometimes the short ones cut closest to the bone of the OP's writing. If someone says they stopped reading after a sentence or two, ask yourself why. What caused that reaction? Seriously.

Or, as Frank suggested, fly away to the happy-happy of other boards.

Cur

Gee, PATRICK Jane, if you wanted to be addressed as a female, maybe you should have reversed your nick.

Duh.

What's really funny about this is that lofty Patrick/Jane thought he/she was enlightening everyone as to appropriate behavior at WN, then dropped down to the insult level at the slightest challenge. I don't know why he/she would expect the rest of us to behave better than he/she does.