HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Approaching International Agencies

Hi guys,

Are we allowed to approach international agents, simultaneously with our approaching agents in our home country? What's the etiquette on that? Is it considered rude? Also, what about international publishers? Do they take on international clients?

Probably most agents and publishers, if they receive a query from an international unpublished writer, will assume that this person has been unable to get published in their home country and is looking overseas as a last resort so don't bother with them.

But this is not the case. I haven't approached anybody yet so it's not a matter of having been rejected and shoved around my local publishing industry and gaining a bad name for myself. This for me is a purely academic question at this point in time. My manuscript is nowhere near ready to actually put together a query letter to anyone.

My particular story though has a very small market anywhere in the world. So I will need to find an agent/publisher that will at least look at the piece. Most places will probably throw the work in the bin without glancing at it because it is very particular and doesn't have a big readership or a lot of other writers, writing the same sort of stuff. I've checked on the shelves, there are titles published in my genre but it is a bit of a niche market (before you ask, it's a fiction genre not a non-fiction genre).

Just wondering. Any help appreciated.

No, I am not Simon Baker, I just didn't want to use my real name when registering & Patrick Jane was the first name that popped into my head at the time.

Re: Approaching International Agencies

I think you're getting a bit ahead of youself, Patrick. But, if/when your ms is at the querying stage you can query agents/pubs anywhere. I'm a Canadian. My publisher is American. There's lots of cross-border(s) publishing going on. If your niche is indeed quite narrow, you might want to forgo trying to interest an agent and look for a small/mid-size publisher in your genre who accepts unagented queries. For the most part, agents are looking for books with a fairly wide commercial appeal.

For now, I'd focus on polishing your manuscript and worry about whom to approach when that task is done.

Good luck.

Thanks Frank,

My MS is complete - as in the story is told & done - but it does have some quirks that need to be revised. My friend brought this up for me on a reading of the synopsis. If the problem is visible from the synopsis, it will definitely show through in the manuscript itself.

Thanks for your advice.

PJ

It doesn't matter what country you're in.

I'm Canadian. I got my UK agent when I was in Korea. I've also got two agents in the states. My publishers are the UK and America and I've also sold to Turkey, Hungary, Russia, and Germany.