HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Finding an Agent

Hello all. I am a Poet who has a lot of stuff written down. I am very diverse in my writings, and I am attempting to publish them. I have contacted the Publishing Companies in New York, and they all said I need an agent. Does anyone have any suggestions about contacting or emailing an agent? Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Eric McBurroughs

Re: Finding an Agent

Oh, dear.

Eric, sometimes we learn that certain aspects of life aren't as we assumed. One of the things you are about to learn is that there are only about 11* poets in the whole world who get publishing contracts. My guess is maybe one or two** of them have an agent.

As yet, you are not among that hallowed group.

Alas, you are unlikely ever to be.

If you're any good, try to get some of your work accepted by magazines first. Then, if after a decade or three, you've established something of a following, self-publish a collection of your work and flog it at poetry readings.

Self-pubbing is pretty much the only way any poet is going to see his work between book covers.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings.

Forgot my asterisks:

* pulled figure out of butt

** ditto

But I don't think those numbers are too far off.

There are almost no literary agents that accept poetry. Most poets self-publish their work, with the exception of one or two.

Be careful of any agency that says they represent poetry. They are likely scammers. Never give an agent money to represent you or pay for anything. Agents collect a percentage of your earnings, they do not take money upfront. Maybe check www.agentquery.com.

Eric,

You've already received some good advice. Agents don't rep poetry because there is no money in it. If you want to publish your poetry, start by submitting to literary magazines. You may also want to consider some of the poetry chapbook competitions. These competitions usually have a small entry fee, but the winners often receive a cash award and publication in the form of a chapbook--a short book that contains a collection of your poetry. It is up to you, though, to sell the copies of the chapbook.

To find out about legit poetry markets and/or competitions, try these sites:

http://www.duotrope.com

http://www.pw.org

Jeanne

There is a way to market/sell/publish poetry without self-publishing; I've done it in the past.

My poetry was published within a magazine of artwork for sale - from various artists. The magazine was used to promote the exhibition and the artists and some 800+ copies were sold prior to exhibition, during the exhibition and thereafter. It may not seem like much, but because it was a government body, an additional 500 odd were distributed among various government organisations. I was paid a fee for my poetry and received two (very small) royalty cheques thereafter.

I never expected to 'make any money' from the magazine, I just wanted to get published, distributed and read. OK I wanted to get acknowledgement also.

True, it was a bit easier for me as I have somewhat of an established name as an artist and therefore move in those circles; even so, it can be done.

They way is happened is I was part of an artist group and was approached by a government body who was putting together an exhibition of some 20+ artists works, (I also exhibited 4 pieces). I was asked to match various groups of artwork with a poem, representing the artist and work. All in all there were 5 poems.

The magazine was published, distributed/sold and acknowledged within the arts community.

What I am saying is, in order to publish poetry; you need to expand your contact base to cover many areas. This way, opportunities MAY present themselves.

About 18 months after the exhibition, I was again approached by another government body looking to obtain a short poem they could use for a campaign about teenage suicide. My poetry tends to be quite dark! I had the perfect poem and it was accepted & used for 12 months. School children and parents alike read my poem and I was acknowledged as the author.

Again, given, I have had my poetry published previously in magazines, competitions & newspapers, (the first at 14), but if you get your name known and you use a bit of marketing, it is possible.

Hope this helps,
    Raven
    if the wine is sour throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Finding an Agent

-- moved topic --

Thank u very much..it helps

Thanks for the websites..i will look into them

Thank u for your honesty Frank