HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chick Lit Query

Chick Lit Query

Hello Readers and Writers,

I'm in the process of writing a chick lit novel (first timer) and am getting trapped in my own head. I would love some feedback on the first 30 something pages... How does this part of the process work? Do you hire someone to edit and provide objective feedback? An editor? Another writer?
    So far I've managed to coerce my closest friend to read it, problem is she really likes me, so not sure how objective she can be.
    Or should I just muster up some confidence and send it out for professional scrutiny as is?

The query/synopsis of the books is as follows:

Jemma has worked extremely hard for everything sheís achieved. She has a glamourous job at a top Los Angeles PR firm, handling Hollywoods A-list stars. Her boyfriend of three years is a promising lawyer who is everything she thought she wanted.
    But when sheís facing the end of her twenties, something seems to be missing. The mounting pressure makes her wonder, is she ready for the next step of starting a family and settling down? Has she lived enough to accept all of adulthoods looming routines and responsibilities? When her boyfriend gets a job offer in San Francisco her desires to live just a little more before her happily ever after, slowly comes to surface.
    Just in Time is a novel about a womanís, not always clear path, to finding happiness, overcoming insecurities and recognizing love. Itís about realizing that sometimes slowing down is the only way to move forward.

Let me know what you think....

Re: Chick Lit Query

Hi, Anna,

What Iíd want to know is, what is it about Jemmaís story that makes it different from the thousands of other stories out there about young women in similar situations? And that is exactly what an agent would want to know. You have no compelling hook and it's an all-too-familiar plot. What's extraordinary about yours? Tell us in the query! --and research the way a query should be written. You can find many samples, good and bad, here in the Literary Agent forum.

No, you do not need to hire anyone to edit it or to provide professional feedback. Editing is part of writing and you need to be able to do this yourself. Hook up with a critique group or find some beta readers (preferably not anyone close to you; friends and family members tend to be much less objective). Crit partners are fairly easy to find online. Donít even think about sending out the manuscript, much less this query, until itís polished to perfection. You could post the first page or two in this forum (not the entire 30 pages) if youíre truly interested in some honest feedback.
    Good luck!

Anna, you'd get better feedback for your query if you post it in the "Literary agents" section. In additon to Mrs Grace advice, there is a lot of expert feedback specifically on this area. Good job Jena!

Thank you both for great feedback!!

/Anna

Chick Lit Query

-- moved topic --