HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Runaways Query Letter

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got my favorite swear word, too.

I just want to say this - if you are using your real name on this site . . . and if you are mentioning the names of agents who have requested your work . . .

Remember that everything you post on the internet is available to everyone using the internet. Agents can Google to see what you've posted just like anyone else can. We generally tend to be more protective about what we post.

That's all I'm going to say.

Oh I already know this. No worries there. Not my real name haha. Smarter than that. They are hysterical on twitter chats, and terrific agents. I am happy they reviewed my work.

Yeah, I'm happy for you, too.

Here's just a few suggestions for the next batch of queries, if these two agents don't want your book:

I am seeking representation on my Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, RUNAWAYS. Delete this first sentence and combine it with this: RUNAWAYS is complete at 65,000 words.

Make it the first sentence of your last paragraph: Runaways is a 65,000-word YA Paranormal Romance. Then, Thank you for blah blah.

I look forward to hearing from you is redundant - they know you want to hear from them.

Quit worrying about the math - you'll get an agent when you get one. Some of the best authors received enough rejections to paper a whole wall or room before they got an agent - say 1 in 1000. So, if you want to drive yourself bonkers - keep thinking about percentages. Won't do you any good because there is no such thing as a given percentage of how many responses you'll get to your query letter. Not in this field anyway.

I mentioned what "complete" means in this context, Roza, because we've seen a number of beginning writers who don't. They don't understand that today's agents and publishers aren't willing to work with writers and get their books ready for publication. I've learned, over the years, that it's best to make sure new writers are aware of this because I don't want to see them ruining their chances for publication by querying with a book that's not ready.

Huh?

My agent and I spent three months editing my novel before sending it to the publishers. I'm currently editing my second novel with the advice from my agent.

I've just finished my first round of edits with my publisher.

There are plenty of agents and publishers who work with writers to get their books ready for publication.

Some agents are hands-on, some not so much. My own agent has me do revisions before she sends the work out. Other agents send the work out as is. Maybe they figure if it's accepted, the editor at the publishing house can deal with any problems.

I have two friends whose agents sent their projects out WITHOUT a thorough going-over first. Neither ever received an offer. Having read both these manuscripts, I'm not surprised. Both were very good stories that needed a $hitload of editing.

Thanks for the advice.

@Joe- Yes, I figured. I appericate it, even though it wasn't needed.

@ Arden and Jena- Yes, that is so true. I've had 5 beta readers and three critique partners on this. No, they weren't family or close friends. Just fellow writers that I've found at other sites I'm a member of.

@Joe- Yes, I figured. I appericate it, even though it wasn't needed.

If you're going to be snarky, then you need to spell correctly. Otherwise, it loses it's punch. So let me help you with this - it's a-p-p-r-e-c-i-a-t-e. There! No need to thank me, I was more than happy to help.