HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Frightened of getting this rejection………..

Well after some 14 months of typing, re-typing, learning, re-learning and developing the skill of humility, my MS1 is (almost) complete.

I have, thankfully, had a wonderful lit agent in the USA, highly regarded and respected, help me many times and it is she who has asked for the final draft of the MS. We have emailed each other several times and each time she has been optimistic and helpful with critique and encouragement.

And now here is my dilemma. I have, over this past year or so received some 30+ rejections. Admittedly most of those were well deserved as my MS (and my writing) was not developed, perfected and sharp…………. But this particular person has encouraged, time and again.

So here I am, about to do the final re-read of MS1 and then it’s off to the post office and fate. I guess, to be honest, I have pinned a lot of hope on Ms. Agent. Aside from being the only reputable agent who has requested a full MS (others have requested partials but then rejected), I think I’m feeling insecure that after all this work and (emotional) pain, it will come to naught.

I fully understand this is the likely outcome, but a little piece of me held hope and until the envelope is sealed, that hope remains. However, I already feel it being replaced with anxiousness and well……….insecurity.

I have started my next writing project so I will not be just sitting around waiting for the ‘the call’ – but I’m finding it hard to let my baby go out into the world to be scrutinised and (potentially) rejected.

So guys, you of much more experience than I, how do you make the time pass without dwelling? And how long is long enough (to expect a reply)? And is it OK to send the MS and then send an email a week or so later to ask if the MS arrived or is this not the done thing?

Raven.
    if the wine is sour – throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Re: Frightened of getting this rejection………..

You won't be able to keep it out of your mind entirely. Mebbe not even mostly, Raven. You're doing the right thing, though. Work on your second tale.

As to how long, that varies greatly. I would probably wait longer than a week, but others may have different opinions.

Good luck!

Cur

Thanks Cur,

I'm fully aware that sending just prior to Christmas is perhaps the worst time and therefore I need to take into account this will slow the entire process down. And I will listen to your suggestion. I will send it in a week or two and then wait until late Jan 2011 to send a follow up email.

Really appreciate the support, thanks

SatyricalRaven

So guys, you of much more experience than I, how do you make the time pass without dwelling? And how long is long enough (to expect a reply)? And is it OK to send the MS and then send an email a week or so later to ask if the MS arrived or is this not the done thing?
    If by experienced, you mean rejected by more than 30 agents--which I can rightly claim is a mere drop in the bucket compared to the rejection list I accumulated--then indeed I am highly experienced at passing time waiting for WORD FROM ON HIGH. The best thing? Immerse yourself so deep in a new project you don't even notice that time passes. Then one day, poof, that magic call will happen. But if by remote chance it doesn't, you will have a shiny new MSS with which to start the whole query-go-round thing afresh.

Talk about deja vu all over again...

Now to the specific question you asked. It is acceptable to send an email asking if the MS was received. Something along the lines of "Hey, just checking to make sure you got it. If not I can send it again" is fine.

Don't get antsy. Resist the urge to ask if the A has read it yet.

Congrats on your full request, by the way.

Stan

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries

Raven, are you sending a snailed hard copy? That's rare nowadays, especially overseas.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

To Stan. I think you are right, if I can meet my personal objective of sending before Christmas, then I can get on with Christmas/New Year with family/friends and work on the second project. Hopefully by the time I get around to asking 'how the first MS is going', I'll hear back from her.
    I also think your suggetion of 'simple and brief' email after the NY is best.
    And thanks for the support

To Keith. This agent has actually asked for a hard copy, DBL spaced rather than emailed copy. She has already received sample draft copies of the MS by email and now wants the 'traditional' hard-copy snail-mail.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever makes her happy I say!

And again thanks to all

Raven

SatyricalRaven

"I have, thankfully, had a wonderful lit agent in the USA, highly regarded and respected, help me many times and it is she who has asked for the final draft of the MS. We have emailed each other several times and each time she has been optimistic and helpful with critique and encouragement"

Raven, has this agent actually agreed to be your agent or does this all depend on whether or not she likes your final draft?

Excellent question, Jena.

*_*

Hi Jena,

It all depends on the final draft.

SatyricalRaven

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries

I know you know better, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Don't pay reading fees, editing charges blah blah blah. Writer Beware, Predators & Editors etc. You can also run this agent through the Bewares and Background Checks forum at AW.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan