HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Part 1 of "Luck By Chance" - Please Comment!

Hmmmm.... random !

Hey, Altaf

You've been given TONS of good stuff to stick in your tool chest of goodies (all things related to writing is a goodie...well, except for anything related to REwriting )

My advice to folks new to the game is generally: Write the story first.
    We all want to write in such a way that is "authorly" and bookshelf-ready, but most (read: dang near all of us) do not have that ability in the early stages. So, I'd like to suggest to you--assuming, of course, you haven't already done so--that you, simply, write the story. What happens; when it happens; and in roundabout way: why it happens. Take out the "lush green grass" crap (most of my stuff is crap, too, so don't take offense to this and write in real way...for now. Once you get a better grasp on English language and an understanding of writing (beginning to end of tale), THEN you can wordsmith your way into becoming a lyricist with the pen (see, just like the dude/woman who coined the "Sally sells seashells..." bit, that person had to know those words, had to learn the objective of the "game," had to feel it, in order to grasp the style he/she wanted to convey to us less talented folks [we the "Word, that was dope" sayers]).

But, yeah, you got a ton of good advice up there. Take it and you'll be stronger and smoother for it.

Mark,

Hello! Good to see you back again. Hope the writing is going well. I'm busting my bottom querying one novel, writing another, and teaching. The regulars are starting to return--slowly. I think the new format is much better now that the "features" are up and running.

Sorry about the thread hijack. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Jeanne

Hey Jeanne,

Great to "see" you again. Yeah I hope more of the old guard return they were all so much fun. Good luck with your writing, mine is going well. Several short story publications since I've been gone and I, too, am in the process of writing a query letter for my latest opus.