HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinion

Opinion

Hi All,

I wondered what the writers here thought about the new trend of taking classic literature like Wuthering Heights and having it twisted into Wuthering Bites. I saw this book at Walmart and had to look twice to see if I read the title correctly. Yes, you read it right. Wuthering Bites: A vampire love story. "Heathcliff's love could save her. His thirst could kill her."

There is a whole series of Jane Austen novels that someone has changed to include zombies etc. and I believe they are on the best seller list. I will admit that I could not resist and bought Wuthering Bites. Since it's 'based' on one of my most beloved classics, I was worried--almost protective of it and I had to find out what it was all about. I cannot tell you how I cringed through it. The author has used the actual text and especially the quotes and then added some slight alteration such as the following. "Word got out that the master was entertaining vampires and nobody decent came near us....<and so on until this> "At fifteen she was the queen of the countryside. What a heady, headstrong creature she was...." Then Emily Bronte's words mixed in here and there.

On another note: What do you think about taking a character out of a classic novel and using him or her in a brand new situation and/or plot. Not a retelling or the bane of my existence Fanfic, but a novel about one of the characters in his own right?

I just wanted other writer's opinions on this. I'm very curious.

Re: Opinion

Sounds like a parody that Mad magazine might have done. If Austen's copyright has expired, I guess using direct quotes within a parody is fair game.

I'm okay with them. Personally, I don't consider much of literature to be sacred. Only successful books are parodied, so I'm sure most authors would be flattered if theirs was. I know I would be.

As to your idea about plucking well-known characters and immersing them in a different milieu - I'm sure it's been done (though admittedly, I can't think of an example right now). But I wouldn't let that stop me. It's an interesting concept and one that I can imagine working well in the right writer's hands. Before you start though, you'd want to make sure the originating author's copyright or trademark wouldn't be infringed.

Cheer up; it could have been worse. After all, it could have read, "At fifteen he was the queen of the countryside."

Joe,

"At fifteen, he was queen of the ball..." Now that would have been made me want to read more! At least it wasn't about vampires. I just had this strange visual of Heathcliff (a smoldering Tom Hardy) prancing across the moors in a gown. Oddly enough, it was kind of sexy. Then again, it was Tom Hardy so he could pull it off.

Frank,

Maybe I am sentimental, but I do believe the classics are somewhat sacred. Although, I understand the 'parody is flattery' aspect. I might be flattered if someone used my book as such, but the thought of someone manipulating my characters into vampires (or whatever the 'craze' is at that time) disturbs me. As for taking a character out of a classic novel and using them in their own right (staying true to the author's original character) I'm fine with that. Does that make sense or am I contridicting myself here?

Tom Hardy is still prancing across my mind....

Carol Burnett and her hilarious parody of Gone With the Wind comes to mind. Mine, anyway. :-)

http://www.itsthecarolburnettshow.co...ett_wwtw2.html

*_*

lol, good one Joe.

LMAO, Joe.

Christine, look at it this way: if someone reads Jane Austin because it has zombies and vampires, then eventually they may even read the original classic. (Probably not till they're in their 30s, but still...) This is really no different than making Jane Austin's books into movies. It simply makes her work available to more people than would ever be exposed to it normally. And anything that makes people laugh, is a good thing.

Lea