HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

An example of good descriptive writing

I just finished re-reading an old book, published about 80 years ago. It starts out by describing the MC, and I'd like to quote that opening paragraph and see what the rest of you think about it. I am, however, going to blank out the MC's name because some of you might recognize it (The book's fairly well-known, and one of the three movie adaptations is very well known.) and I don't want anybody to be influenced by that. Later, of course, I'll let you all know who the MC is and, if any of you manage to figure it out, I'll acknowledge it.

___ _______'s jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting V under the more flexible V of his mouth. His nostrils curved back to make another, smaller V. His yellow-grey eyes were horizontal. The V motif was picked up again by thickish brows rising outward from twin creases above a hooked nose, and his pale brown hair grew down -- from high flat temples -- in a point on his forehead. He looked rather pleasantly like a blond satan.

Re: An example of good descriptive writing

I've never seen a V-shaped mouth, flexible or otherwise, except in cartoons. A hooked nose with nostrils curved back, yellow-grey eyes, brows rising outward...yep, this is a cartoon or a sci-fi/fantasy character. Nobody looks like this in the real world. I have no idea what he means by "horizontal" eyes.

Ahhh...it just occurred to me that in whatever sci-fi/cartoon universe this "blond satan" inhabits, "vertical" eyes, or one eye on top of the other, is not uncommon.

Take THAT, Hammitt.

A truly great writer, and an excellent example of descriptive writing.

Yep, he describes a cartoon or sci-fi character excellently except for that "horizontal" eyes part. No clue what he means by that unless other beings in whatever world the MC inhabits have "vertical" or maybe "diagonal" eyes.

I assume jayce has given the correct author.

Was Humphrey Bogart so V-ish looking? True, he was not a pretty boy; but he didn't need to be.

The MC description sounds scary. Who in Hollywood at that time even came close to fitting it?

*_*

That should read "came EVEN close," right?

*_*

Oh, lol...don't tell me...this is NOT a cartoon or sci-fi character, yet he felt the need to tell the reader that his eyes were positioned horizontally and NOT in a V? That's pretty darn funny, lol. If ever he's in a line-up and the witnesses somehow missed the v-shaped mouth, the yellow-grey eyes, the spock-brows, and the blond dracula widow's peak, they can nail him on those weird horizontal eyes, lol. That is FUNny!

Taking the written word literally would sure make for boring writing. It could even lead a whole religion down the wrong path.