HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: MS running from A-B

Thanks for that CK, appreciate the time and effort and I really like the idea of 'cards'

The middle of my MS is somewhat 'lacking' I can feel it and see it when I read it, start and finish are fine but the middle is really letting the entire MS down.

I've actually given copies of the MS to several ppl of all ages and walks of life and asked that they make comments as they go along.

I'm hoping that when I get the comments back I can better see the holes in the storyline and this may help me improve the entire thing.

Two comments. First, I ask my beta-readers to put their comments into the file right where they belong but [inside square brackets, like these.] This not only makes it easy for me to find them by searching for the opening bracket, it ensures that I'll know what they're referring to.

Second, if you want to read some stories that could never be accused of being "linear," read some of the books of Lois McMaster Bujould because even when you're sure what's going on you rarely know why until later. (Miles Vorkosigan has been aptly described as a master of chaos.) If you don't care for SF, you might also consider the Amilia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters, for much the same reason. And, just to show that not all convoluted books are written by women, I'll direct your attention to The Dain Curse, by Dashiel Hammett.

Thanks Joe, will look at one of two of them both to expand my reading and (hopefully) improve my writing.