HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed With...

Re: Armed With...

Rogue, it gives me a chill, to think how you satisfied all your educational needs from a college degree! Shiver! That's so cool! Gosh, I'm wondering now if I'd paid more attention, if I'd not been desk-sleeping after working all night, every night, if I, too, could have could be done with the learnin' mucky muck. My plebeian road has been so mired in more muck. Nine published books, scores of magazine articles, and hundreds of newspaper stories after college, and still, so much eludes me. I can't even remember what the word venial means, and I looked it up last week with firm intentions of using it regularly to plant it deep. I'm so hoping I'll remember this new word -- meh. Hard to imagine it coming up in conversation for me, although, now that I think about it, I can see a guy shuffling dank concrete to the electric chair, shrugging his shoulders, punctuating with a "meh." Wait! now I can picture a teenage boy in those falling-off shorts, failing school; he'd be a meh-type. Right? Maybe a meth mom, losing her two children to social services? Would she say, "Meh, who cares"? Am I getting it? Oh! I've got another: a writer, fingerboarding away at his art year after year, and, when he sends his masterpieces off and no one with a checkbook says, "Brilliant! Here's a six-figure advance," the writer hunches closer to the keys, because his eyes are going, and mutters, "Meh."

So cool that you can meh all the book learning post that glorious graduation night. I envy you...no, it goes so far beyond; I'm head over heels and in over my head. And, sheesh, I got to practice more of that convolution stuff that eluded me during my college years. Thank you, Rogue. My eyes water in unabashed appreciation.

Rogue Mutt

Kitty Foyle Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Mangy used to meh at a lot of my comments, but
    > then he wised up. :-)
    >
    > *_*

Now I just say "woo woo."

Rogue Mutt

C K Wrote:
    > Rogue, it gives me a chill, to think how you
    > satisfied all your educational needs from a
    > college degree! Shiver! That's so cool! Gosh,
    > I'm wondering now if I'd paid more attention, if
    > I'd not been desk-sleeping after working all
    > night, every night, if I, too, could have could be
    > done with the learnin' mucky muck. My plebeian
    > road has been so mired in more muck. Nine
    > published books, scores of magazine articles, and
    > hundreds of newspaper stories after college, and
    > still, so much eludes me. I can't even remember
    > what the word venial means, and I looked it up
    > last week with firm intentions of using it
    > regularly to plant it deep. I'm so hoping I'll
    > remember this new word -- meh. Hard to imagine it
    > coming up in conversation for me, although, now
    > that I think about it, I can see a guy shuffling
    > dank concrete to the electric chair, shrugging his
    > shoulders, punctuating with a "meh." Wait! now I
    > can picture a teenage boy in those falling-off
    > shorts, failing school; he'd be a meh-type.
    > Right? Maybe a meth mom, losing her two children
    > to social services? Would she say, "Meh, who
    > cares"? Am I getting it? Oh! I've got another: a
    > writer, fingerboarding away at his art year after
    > year, and, when he sends his masterpieces off and
    > no one with a checkbook says, "Brilliant! Here's
    > a six-figure advance," the writer hunches closer
    > to the keys, because his eyes are going, and
    > mutters, "Meh."
    >
    > So cool that you can meh all the book learning
    > post that glorious graduation night. I envy
    > you...no, it goes so far beyond; I'm head over
    > heels and in over my head. And, sheesh, I got to
    > practice more of that convolution stuff that
    > eluded me during my college years. Thank you,
    > Rogue. My eyes water in unabashed appreciation.

At the end you should have said, "In case you're wondering, I was being sarcastic."

Rogue Mutt Wrote:

> Now I just say "woo woo."

Right, Mangy, and I thank you for it; woo woo is sexy!

*bursts into song*: I am the WOO-WOO girl...I am the WOO-WOO girl!

tra-la....

*_*

Leslee,

Of course. Anyone can't meh anything. One of the things I like about WN is that we're free to telegraph our proclivities at will.

Here's the thing, meh-ing moves the discourse from writing craft into...well, I'm not sure. Tell me. Why would you rather call for some ham thing than try the exercise? Or if the exercise doesn't move you, at least look at the sentence and speak about what works and doesn't for you?

Business is slow here; I'd like to be part of something turning on here. Meh turns things off. Why do that? Jump in, if not with this sentence, do your own. I'll play, and I won't meh. Never been a meh-er, can't fathom ever being one, other than in the short term, when I'm running from something. Those things I'm disinterested in, I don't participate in because, duh, I'm not interested. When anyone participates in something they claim to be disinterested in, they're telegraphing, speaking too much. (Yes, Rogue, you are interested. You've got good prose and you're looking for the bump and running with "meh" on your lips. Stop that. It serves no one but your competitors.)

Writing is hard and it's no bad thing to be fearful -- only to run.

We have an opportunity to make this place something valuable. I know Rogue's strengths; I know yours, Leslee. (I know, you'll say that I couldn't possibly, but I have this superpower, among a few others; .I can tell you've got important things to say and important issues you're dealing with in words and life.) I ain't mey-ing or calling for ham-speak. Raven, you too, although you're on a steep learning curve.) I know meh-ing ain't your strength, Leslee. Or Rogue's. (You, too, Raven.) I'm making my little attempts. Make them with me; make your own. I don't care. But to meh, to make your hinge pivot on what you don't care about, well...it's defensive and telling and doesn't move your strengths into an area where they can make a difference.

So do the exercise. If the prospect of flirting with another author's structure and technique is too weird, just dissent my pre and post exercises sentences. Just do something outside of I-don't-care. It's not hard: ditch the Meh-shield, gather, launch, fall.

Rogue Mutt

No one has to prove anything to you. There are plenty of sites out there with prompts and games and exercises and whatnot if that's your thing.

"Why would you rather call for some ham thing than try the exercise?"

Aah. It's a joke. I'll explain. You see, there is a long-running joke on WN regarding Wonky and ham. He adores ham. You posted a quote containing ham. I therefore called Wonky's attention to his much beloved ham. No apology is forthcoming. I enjoy the fact that Wonky loves ham and will no doubt refer to it again in the future. I myself do not eat ham. I eat tuna. And many a joke has been made about tuna on WN. Mostly by me.

As to your superhuman knowledge of my strengths, you are welcome to jump to any conclusions you like - although it must be somewhat uncomfortable to jump at all with that ginormous stick up your ass.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries

Had a fabulous lunch Friday, Leslee. Great salad topped off with seared Ahi. Little She Crab soup to go with it. Raspberry iced tea. I'm almost afraid to go back to that restaurant because they'll never top that.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

CK,

I note with interest that Rogue, Leslee and I have been happily singled out in your (above) reply. What makes this even more interesting is that the very people contributing to your discussion board are the same ones singled out for total lack of interest. It's also interesting that you jumped to a conclusion about 'ham' & you made no comment on the book I preferred. If you want discussion would it not be better professional and social etiquette to accept the movement of the conversation and glide along with it?
    Just on the ham (sorry couldn't jsut let it go!), I'm a fond ham fan but I'm a sucker for cheese, there's no such thing as too much cheese! lol

Now on to your comments regarding me personally.
    On the whole, I’m a pretty basic sort of a creature, aside for my freakish love of fine shoes, I desire little more than the right to express an opinion, even an indifferent one and deserve neither sensor nor selective ‘superpower’ to let me know I am on a steep learning curve….. and I have no interest in dissecting the work of an artist for whom I hold no torch.
    While I applaud your willingness to try and ‘keep a site interesting’ I condemn your self proclaimed entitlement to decide what a lack of interest in one novel/novelist says of the reader/aspiring writer.
    Raven.

Keith, I love that you told me about your lunch. It sounds so delicious. I had salad with fish on top today, too, but mine was tuna salad. Tasty. Ranch dressing. Dinner roll with butter. I've never had anything called "Little She Crab soup." Is it like a chowder but with crab?