HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Title Help

Rogue Mutt

Title Help

I'm working on a short story and a character is coming up with an idea for a romantic comedy film. The only problem is I am totally drawing a blank at what he should call it. Any serious suggestions?

Here's his idea:

What if Penelope was an actress trying out for a television show and Paul—or maybe I should rename him George—was one of the network execs in charge of the show? They would meet before the actual meeting at the café, before either had any idea they might be working together. That would set up Paul’s moral dilemma of whether to hire her out of respect for her talent or to reject her so that they can date. He would decide to hire her and then as the shooting progressed the tension between them would escalate until something—a cast party or something—finally brought them together. They would run into some obstacle, like Paul having to ask her to compromise her “art” for ratings or something like that, and they would break up. Paul would eventually reconsider, tell his bosses to shove their notes, and win Penelope back. Deep kiss at the end and roll credits.

Re: Title Help

A Penny for His Thoughts.

Will They/Won't They.

Particularly if the TV show within your character's movie involves one of those typical Ross/Rachel series of near-misses, with Penelope's character as one of the participants.

Penelope's Parlor of Pleasure.

Oh wait...no, that wouldn't work.

*_*

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries

Robbing Paul's peter to pay Penny.

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Rogue Mutt

Guess we missed where I said any SERIOUS suggestions. Except for Hawkwood. Thanks John H.! (And really the Ross/Rachel thing that numerous shows have done is one of my pet peeves with TV because as soon as they get together they have to break up and then mope around and find token other people before getting back together...ad nauseum.)

No problem. Although I think John Oberon meant his suggestion seriously too. Punny titles being a hallmark of romantic comedies and whatnot. (I thought of suggesting "Role Over Her" but thought it would be too...suggestive.)

Rogue Mutt

John Hawkwood Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > No problem. Although I think John Oberon meant
    > his suggestion seriously too. Punny titles being
    > a hallmark of romantic comedies and whatnot. (I
    > thought of suggesting "Role Over Her" but thought
    > it would be too...suggestive.)

How about "Role of a Lifetime"? Though people might think it's a movie for the Lifetime network, which I suppose it could be.

Believe it or not, I came up with that too, but thought it was too...I don't know, plain? Wide-open? Think the title needs to be a little more specific to the situation the characters face.

Rogue Mutt

John Hawkwood Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Believe it or not, I came up with that too, but
    > thought it was too...I don't know, plain?
    > Wide-open? Think the title needs to be a little
    > more specific to the situation the characters
    > face.

According to IMDB there's actually a Scott Bakula movie from 2000 or so with that title. Never heard of it. Anyway, as the character says in the story, it'll do for a working title until I can think of something better.