HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Self-Publishing!

I may have just found the most terrifying words an author can utter:

My book is going on sale.

As I was hyperventilating into a paper bag (not really sure what the bag's for, but home remedies stick around because they work), my inner retard kicked in.

What if it sucks? What if no one wants to read your stupid book? What if <gulp> you get dumped on by the critics?

After whipping him back into his little cave in my left temple, and pouring myself a generous shot of whiskey, I started thinking.
    I know that self-publishing flies in the face of conventional wisdom, and is generally regarded as the surest possible way to guarantee that no traditional publisher will ever consider you as a "legitimate" author. In short, professional-hara kiri. Anyone got a tanto knife handy?
    With that said, I decided that I was tired of waiting for responses from agents and publishers, and tired of getting rejection slips. So I swallowed the huge leaden lump in my stomach and started to work.

The biggest problem, naturally, is promotion: Who's going to buy something they don't know about? How do you reach a target audience that doesn't know you're alive?
    Solution: Get some help. Fliers, friendly librarians and bookstore clerks, and friends and family just became my biggest allies. And while you're at it, why make it all about you? Why not find a cause to get involved with, and help them while helping yourself?
    And so it was done. The interest emails are out, and time will tell who bites.

Next problem: E-books are the Next Big Thing, but they haven't quite arrived yet.
    Solution: Make yourself a ground-floor investor. Why should the big dogs get all the bones? The overhead is minimal, the growth potential is unlimited, and you cut out a whole slew of middlemen. All of which means more profit, and more charitable donations. Not much downside there.

Last problem: I'm a writer!!! I'm shy! I hide behind the written word, wielding a metaphorical pen like a sword. It's not my style to go out and try to sell myself.
    Solution: Toughen up, buttercup. Your road is easily twice as hard, which means you'll have to put in at least four times the effort. You're going to have to self-promote your butt off.

So the fliers are out. The friends and family are doing what they can. The latest technology is being bent to my will. The face to face meetings start next week. The emails are going out to the local media. And the date is set for September 5th at 5:00pm Central time.

Now the only question left is, "Can I pull this off? Can I stand tradition on its ear and make a going concern from nothing?"

Time will tell.

So, just in case you're curious about what I've been blathering about, the question of the day is: "Who is Markus Latimore?"

For the answer, go to *Link removed by Mod*

Best of luck, y'all!

Re: Self-Publishing!

J.S.---

I read all your posts today. This one invites readers to look at your website.

I did so. Have two comments. The black background and red text are really difficult to read. I suspect you're going for a vampire theme. Nothing wrong with that, but ask yourself whether you want to highlight the theme or whether you want those who come to your site to be able to easily read the text. The excerpts you provided can be easily improved, and prolly should be. That's just my opinion.

I would have offered some detailed comment, but decided no to since you offered a short rant in another of your posts titled "I'm Out," declaring that WNers are playing in a digital sandbox, or some such. And you walked away "disgusted." Nothing wrong with that if you have good beta readers. Afore I forget, I'm not suggesting that you've lost a fabulous opportunity by not getting detailed critique from this ol' cur.

Hang in there. You have an interesting road ahead re the self-pub route. (This will likely not be something you'll be interested in, but is it possible that you didn't succeed on the traditional path because your writing isn't quite ready? Close, but not quite there?)

If you decide to come back I'll be interested, seriously, to hear how it's going. That's not a put down. A few folks make it with self-pub. You might be one.

Cur

Well, good luck. I have experience in advertising, and from your proposed plan, it sounds like you'll need a lot of luck.

Another day, another wannabe who's drunk the self-pub Kool Aid. Luckily, it's not always fatal.

The antidote is out there. It's called "reality."

Takes time to administer, though. A year or two's sales-to-date usually does the trick.

Good luck.

Combine "self-published" with words like "my inner retard" and you know we've got a winner.

Not.

Rogue Mutt

The best advice I got here was put your book on Amazon's Kindle, charge $0.99 for it and go on the Kindle discussion boards to pimp it. The Kindle has outsold the print like 10-to-1. Why? Because people are willing to take a flier on a book (especially one that's 520 pages and contains mature themes) for $0.99 as opposed to $17.99 (plus shipping). Sure you don't make much money ($.35 a pop) but it was also FREE to load it on there and you don't have overhead or anything so that $.35 is pure profit. Though really if you're self-publishing you should be doing it just to get your book out there, not to make money.

So, seriously, if you haven't embraced ebooks yet, then start now. To get it on non-Kindle sites you can also go to SmashWords and if you go through all the hassle of formatting it their way you can get it for B&N's Nook and Apple's iPad and so forth.

Very interesting post, Rogue. Lots of stuff I didn't know.

I'm so far behind on understanding the electronic book thing.

Rogue Mutt

Today my book is number 6000-something in the Kindle store. Whereas the print version is 2.5 million.

Rogue Mutt

Amazon has my book on sale for $0.89 right now and it's flying off the virtual shelves! 22 copies this month in America plus another 1 or so in the UK. So that proves my point, I think.

You've really given me something to think about Rogue. After I revise and edit (again!), I think I'm going to seriously think about this kind of self-publishing. As a way to get noticed as a newbie author, it might be the way to go. Thanks.