HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mark Young

Find Your Publisher

Just browsing to find some agents for a children\'s story I recently wrote (finding them is nigh impossible but achievable), when I came across \"Findyourpublisher\".

but what do they do? I suspect money is involved. One of the questions they ask is:

\"What amount do you want to invest to get published?\"
    $2,500+
    $1,000 - $2,500
    $500 - $1,000

The correct answer is $0.00, but that option isn\'t there.

They are really an advertisement for self-publishing companies that ask you to pay through the roof for \"publishing services\". Remember, self-publishing isn\'t real publishing. It\'s just you paying for your story to be in a book format. You get no advertising, not a lot of help, and the worst part: you\'re paying money for something that is available for *free*. IOW, go through an agent or do the work through a real publisher, and you will make money on the very first sale, and all you paid for is postage, if even that.

Soliciting
    Concealed
    Appropriation of
    Money

L C

Re: Find Your Publisher

<< Remember, self-publishing isn\'t real publishing. It\'s just you paying for your story to be in a book format. >>

You'd think that would be common sense, but there's a surprisingly large contingent that thinks it's a "legitimate" form of publishing (whatever that means) and different from "vanity" publishing. The stories this contingent makes up to support this are most amusing. Victoria Strauss was trolling for interviewees awhile back on AW and on her blog, asking "If you chose vanity over SP, why?" LOL She doesn't seem to get that people who vanity pub don't perceive it as vanity pubbing, just as she doesn't perceive self-pubbing as vanity pubbing. Hence, they aren't going to answer her troll.

At the AW PAMB board, one of the most prolific posters, "Research Guy" is as vanity pubbed as vanity gets, but has this Lulu-published thing with lots of words trying to convince everyone (himself?) there's a difference. Jim McDonald sits there all day bashing the PA and Tate "vanity" pubs, but had a sig for an AW self-published turd (some anthology about gunfighters or something) from the Lulu author mill for awhile. Self-delusion runs rampant, even in folks whom you'd think would know better.

Gary Kessler

If you, as the author, select it for printing and pay for producing and marketing it, it's vanity publishing.

L C

No, Gary, it's SELF publishing if it's with Lulu or Createspace. It's VANITY publishing if it's with PA or Tate.

Or something.

Gary Kessler

Tongue in cheek, I take it. PA isn't a vanity press. It's just a very bad press--and probably worse than self-publishing in some respects (although if you just want the book between covers and don't care if the text is actually from your manuscript, it has a few advantages over self-publishing).

Herman Lamblin

Let's say I go through a SP route and then decide later to let someone else market the books instead. Is it possible for a publisher to to do so and will it be easier for them to get noticed before or after I SP?

L C

You don't "let" others market your books. If a publisher wants it, it will market it.

No, it won't be easier for your SP book to get noticed. I'm sure Gary will elaborate.

Herman Lamblin

Thanks L C

But I still wonder though:
    -SP books give you a lot of freedom to do what you want, but it takes a lot of time away from writing
    -And Vanity Publishing do the business, but they're difficult to get into and most give you a time limit to when you need to get your next book out (but the time you save from lack of advertising should make up for that, I suppose)

With both of these options bouncing my mind back and forth, I can't decide which to go for.

Herman Lamblin

Sorry--correction:
    I mean Big Business Publishing, not Vanity Publishing...my bad

Herman Lamblin

Never mind...I got my answer :P