HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Finnley Wren

Re: Getting the Horse to Drink

I suppose modern for books is different than other things. 30 years ago is "oldies" or "classic" in radio. And in computers that's archaic or Jurassic.

Perhaps, but the "modern" era of desktop computing certainly began with the IBM PC circa 1981.

What sealed the deal for me was Webster's definition of modernism: modern artistic or literary philosophy and practice ; especially : a self-conscious break with the past and a search for new forms of expression.

Others may differ, but to me anyway, "Garp" was all of those things.

Gary Kessler

As far as I know the "modern" era for literature in the U.S. market started with Hemingway--which is much longer than 30 years ago. There have certainly been era upgrades since then, but I haven't heard them named. Anyone else know of some background discussion of this?

Derek Wayne

RM

I'm genuinely curious(not being snarky) about why you chose to go this route. Not long ago, you were posting your query letter. What changed? Were you impatient with the process? Did you decide your book was "too out there" for mainstream? Did you think it is poorly written? (No sarcasm. No implications. I haven't read it) As somebody who is on this site everyday, you know how long it takes for some authors to be published. I would like to know why you gave up so quickly. (Not that you need to explain yourself). I'd like to hear your rationale, and insight.

Finnley Wren

Anyone else know of some background discussion of this?

I don't, but it would certainly make for a fascinating discussion or perhaps a thesis of some sort.

What comes to mind immediately is Mark Twain and "Huckleberry Finn" often being credited as the first truly "American" novel, told in a uniquely American voice and owing nothing to the Old World classics that came before it. It is often referenced as a literary demarcation point from one era to another.

Not sure or qualified enough to say whether Hemingway was another demarcation, but it certainly resonates with me. I think there's no doubt that there is what came before him and what came after him anyway.