HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rogue Mutt

Getting the Horse to Drink

I've got the word out about my book but the problem so far seems to be getting anyone to BUY it. Even when I cut my own throat by offering it at cost (with part of the proceeds going to charity) hardly anyone gets interested. So I suppose the problem is with my sales pitch. How can I present my product so that after I've led the horse to water it will actually drink? (And don't say "write a better book" because it's obvious you haven't read it or I'd know.)

Gary Kessler

Re: Getting the Horse to Drink

Yep, that's the hardest part. But you should have figured that out about self-publishing before going into it.

The problem isn't the sales pitch--it's finding anyone who is catching.

A.L. Sirois

Promote, promote, promote. Write a press release and send it to all the newspapers within a 25- or even 50-mile radius. Send it to local radio stations. Get on sites like this one, or blogs, etc etc. Set up signings for yourself in any nearby indie bookstores. (Chains might be interested, too.) Put an excerpt on your web site, or the Facebook page you created. Google "self promotion" and see what you get. I still say, from reading the FB page (and the Amazon link), that the book's genre isn't immediately clear to me. YA? Mainstream fiction? You know as well as I do that people like labels, because labels help them understand what a thing is. Maybe you need a log line. And I still say, though you ignored me before when I said this, that having two characters with such similar names is confusing. Pretty much the last thing you want to do is to confuse prospective readers.

My two cents; your milage may vary; and so forth.

Gary Kessler

Spend money and time and effort. Spend money and time and effort. Watch those sales d r i b b l e in (or not).

And then post about how traditional publishers don't do anything about selling.

leslee

"I've got the word out about my book but the problem so far seems to be getting anyone to BUY it."

How could you possibly be surprised by this?

Rogue Mutt

Thanks AL. At least one of you is trying to be helpful. The problem with newspapers around here is the Free Press only delivers Thursday & Sunday anymore. The Detroit News will probably be out of business by the end of the year. After that there aren't many other newspapers that I know about. It's a dying industry. I should probably do a "virtual" book tour where you go on various blogs to promote your book. But really the problem is trying to figure out what I should say. Someone I talked to said the gay marriage angle in the story might scare people away so I'm not sure if I should even mention that. So really I need to know HOW I should sell it before I can move much further on WHERE to sell it to.

Rogue Mutt

BTW, Kessler and leslee, I don't know why you read this board if you're just going to go from post to post saying "self publishing is bad" and "people who self publish are stupid." That's troll behavior. You're better than that.

leslee

Show me where I said "self-publishing is bad." I'd like to see it. I've never said it, and I don't think it. I've shown you nothing but support for your book. And Gary has done some self-publishing as well. I don't think he's likely to knock you for it, he's simply pointing out that you're being unrealistic about sales. Which you most definitely are.

So you can go fvck yourself, Rogue.

You put out your self-published book about ten minutes ago and you're disappointed because it isn't selling. NOBODY KNOWS IT'S THERE! You've been partifipating here long enough to know that there's a ton of work to be done to make a self-published book sell no matter how good it is. YOU KNOW THAT.

Don't whine at us because your unrealistic fantasy isn't immediately coming true. Suck it up and do the work required to make your book a success. If you believe in it so strongly, that shouldn't be hard to do.

leslee

partifipating

Love that typo.

A.L. Sirois

I know what you mean about the papers, and while I was writing my post, there, I was thinking, "Well, this may not be the best advice."

I'd say that the gay marriage angle is pretty timely, and that's a Good Thing. Turn a perceived negative into a positive by actively soliciting attention from the gay community, then. You could approach some gay-themed blogs / websites and talk to them. Magazines, too, or literary journals that have published such material in the past. You've got to let potential readers know you're there.