HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Agnes Musa

Network Marketing for Books

Does marketing at major sites e.g. facebook and myspace or twitter for that matter help sales of self published books? Have you tried it and what was the response?

Anthony Ravenscroft

harsh facts about self-marketing

Depends what you mean by... well, about half your words.

Poets & Writers did a nice article on the outfall of 2007's craze, the video book trailer. The problem is now the glut, some 48,600 at the moment -- <http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=book+trailer&aq= f>.

I mean, that's a LOT of commercials for people to dig through.

A few years ago, it was "I'm gonna start a blog!!!"

Before that, it was, "I have an AUTHOR WEBSITE!!!"

And in each & every case the hopeful noobs hit the same problem:

<u>Nobody gives a damn whether you live or die.</u>

which points up the underlying problem:

<u>Most noobs Totally Suck at basic marketing.</u>

Let's get it straight right now: There is no "if you build it they will come" in real life.

You can go & start all these darned accounts... but so what?
    Who's going to find you?
    Why should they show up the first time?
    Why should they come back next week?
    Why should they show up for the hundredth time, the thousandth time, next year & beyond?

Until you can answer those questions, clearly & with solid facts, you're setting yourself up to waste time, effort, & money -- the three immutable elements of the universe -- & avoid getting published or, likely, writing anything worth publishing.

Does it "help"? Oh, I'm certain it does, in a tiny fraction of the examples you could find. If anyone reading this decides to go ahead anyway, here's a couple of useful thoughts:

-- many of these self-promoters never offer immediate contact info. In most cases, if someone (a) manages to trip over the promo, & (b) is at least slightly interested, then they have to dig into the user profile of the poster... which may or may not get anywhere near the item being promoted or the person doing the promoting.

-- you need to give something away. What candy are you waving to get the kids into your van?

-- then, to keep them checking back with you, you have to make clear that you're constantly giving more away. Entertain the brutes!

-- you have to encourage interaction, with you & between them.

-- you have to tolerate criticism, which is often both savage & totally wrong.

That should be enough to get you started.