HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Worried Author

Getting text checked by a lawyer

I have written a book (a collection of film reviews and interviews), licensed imagery and acquired permissions from film companies but having printed off 100 copies to sell I foolishly realised I haven\'t had the text checked for \'problem content\'. It is after all a book of opinions. This came to the fore when I tried to get personal indemnity insurance and was quoted 1250 ex.tax and was also told I\'d need to get the it read by a lawyer at a cost of 250 per hour! Can anyone offer any advice or experiences to a fledgling publisher who is lacking common sense.

Thank you

Cathy C

Re: Getting text checked by a lawyer

I'm afraid I'm confused. Where are you located? You're quoting the price in pounds, but use the term "lawyer" rather than "soliciter." It's hard to recommend a source to find legal assistance without knowing where you are.

Worried Author

Sorry, I am in the UK and mean solicitor.

Lorelei Armstrong

My mother wrote a nonfiction book and had to have an attorney review it and buy insurance, and it was quite expensive. See if an attorney will give you fifteen minutes so you can ask if it is necessary in this case.

Cathy C

My best advice would be to try the Martindale-Hubbell Website, at: <http://martindale.com> You can search by both speciality (either "Intellectual Property" or "Entertainment" law) and by area. Martindale has lots of links in other countries, the UK being one of the primary ones. It might be you won't have to do much to vet (fact-check) the book, and I agree with Lorelei that it would be worthwhile to ask for a short appointment, or better yet, write down the details that you want them to check and mail it after contacting them by phone. Sometimes it's better to find out that an attorney CAN'T do what you're asking, before you spend a lot of money learning the same thing.