HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Thomas Davis

Looking For Advice & Tips For A New Writer

Hi guys I am new to this forum. I am looking to connect to any real writers out here. I am looking for some tips and advice on becoming a writer? I just recently got laid off from work and now have a lot of free time to start on a book that I had an idea for while!

Any advice would be helpful. Also i just recently purchased "Getting published for dummies." Has anyone read this book? Did I just waste my money? Thanks!

Smiling Curmudgeon

Re: Looking For Advice & Tips For A New Writer

Thomas,

You just got laid off. You have free time to start a book.

Some things to think about.

Are you a beginning writer?

What genre (assuming you're planning to write fiction) will you be writing?

Having an idea for a book is one thing. Doing the work necessary to see it through to publication is a whole 'nuther thing. Big 'nuther thing.

How soon do you expect to complete, edit, polish, edit some more, polish some more, edit again, etc?

If you're a beginner and need to make a living any time soon, writing is unlikely to do that for ya'.

If you're one of the bankers who bailed with millions in bonuses, then your horizon is longer. You might have a chance in that case.

Spend some time on the Internet. Learn a bit about this business. Then decide whether it's your calling.

Before you squall at me, this isn't meant to be harsh. Merely a tiny introduction to writing.

If scribblin's in your blood, go for it. DO NOT expect to make any money for a good while.

Hope this helps.

Cur

Keith .

Step 1: Punctuation

Sam English

"Also i just recently purchased "Getting published for dummies." Has anyone read this book? Did I just waste my money?"

You will not be needing that until (and unless) you actually write something that is publishable. Not trying to be harsh, as Cur said, but there is WAY more to the "writing thing" than having "an idea for while!".
    Write your "idea" first, without any thought to being published, then and only then can you even begin to determine if it's publishable.

Also, if you're a thinking of "writing" as a way to make a living right now because you've been laid off, you just can't...plain and simple.

Bala Zuccarello

Once you've written it take a few minutes and read about self-publishing.

www.OneWorldPress.com

The rewards could be very big. You can have complete control.

We can help you put it all together and even help you with marketing.

Good luck!

Ann Crispin

Just a word to the wise from Writer Beware. In our experience, (11 years of following the whole "self publishing" that is, POD vanity publishing growth spurt) at least 90% of these authors never make back their initial investment.

It's still true that the average "self published" (POD vanity press) book sells fewer than 100 copies, and there's a good chance the author bought many of those 100. And that the author's friends and family accounted for most of the rest.

"Rewards could be very big. You have complete control." This is a typical POD vanity come-on.

Before even considering self publishing, read Writer Beware's article on POD and vanity presses. Then check out our list of "Thumbs Down" publishers.

The authors who have made money from self publishing (and there are some, granted...but not many) are generally writing non-fiction books, not novels.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Chair, Writer Beware
    www.writerbeware.com