HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Anthony Ravenscroft

typical Xlibris novel

While POD has its legions of defenders, it seems like very few of them have actually made any effort to read each other's often-ghastly attempts.

I occasionally browse Xlibris & a few other sites, on the off chance I could find something I'd actually want to buy. Hasn't happened yet, but I gain insight into the mind of the Hopeful Author.

Here's the description for Fritz Vongucci's Zod. Keep in mind that the blurb was written by the author. I've split it into grafs, but the rest (including the final ellipsis) is sic:

That is, in which some aspect of future science or technology is integral; to ZODīS plot that, if that aspect were removed, the existence would collapse.

This is the science fiction of physical, sociological, psychological.

And the technology biogenetic engineering and electronic engineering.

It is, the existence is strong, realistic, with believable people.

And doing believable things--- no matter how fantastic the background might be.

It is original...

Okay, any bets on how readable the for-sale text will be?
    <https://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/book_excerpt.asp?bookid=17985>

The good news is that this is your competition.

jayce

Re: typical Xlibris novel

Incredible.

Lysis

LOL!

As a freelancer, I have seen some pretty bad writing. I refuse to proofread anymore, because I have received jobs where clients have told me there is minor proofreading needed (spelling and grammar checkup) and the work was obviously written by some Pakistani. The last job I accepted, the Pakistani dude plagiarized half the material. I had to give it back to the buyer telling him there is nothing to proofread. It was plagiarized!

On the bright side, I worked with a self published author, and I fully enjoyed reading his work. No, I'm not getting money for this, but I believe he deserves some kudos. The book's name is Hulagu's Web. I was impressed and had a nice day curled up on my couch reading his manuscript.

L C

My guess is that Fritz Vongucci is not an native English speaker.

Anyhow, Xlibris -and Publish America and Author House and all the others- exist for these folks. It gives them an outlet. This is why I don't bash any of them. The disgruntled PA'ers at Absolute Write don't realize that their own stuff looks basically like this. And the published authors there egg them on and give them false hope.

Mr Vongucci and his colleagues are not my competition.

Judy Sanders

Anthony Ravenscroft will you review my "southern suspense with dog" novel? I like the way you string words together. If you hate my work, I'll just have to deal with it.

Lysis

"Anthony Ravenscroft will you review my "southern suspense with dog" novel? I like the way you string words together. If you hate my work, I'll just have to deal with it."

I gots fitty dollas that says he wants to publish it.

Sarah Connor

My favourite will always be the guy from Publish America who survived ten diabetic commas.

Anthony Ravenscroft

I gots fitty dollas that says he wants to publish it.

Hah. Either admit you're an airhead, or pay up. I reject more good novels in a year than you've read in your sadly protracted life.

ten diabetic commas

Oh, lawd! Tnx, Sarah, for the laugh!

...but then I realised that not one person in 20 would even spot the gag.

Frank Baron

Anthony, Anthony, Anthony -- you're too darn cynical. I'll wager fully 70% of the writers.net readership spotted the faux pas.

Xavier Onassis

Hey, I got it right away. And they pay me to break stuff.

XO