HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handcart press

A.L. Sirois

Handcart press

Another POD start-up... they don't seem to be asking for money up front and claim to be big into marketing. So... has anyone had any dealings with them?

http://handcartpress.com/default.aspx

Danielle Rollins

Re: Handcart press

It looks like an independent press. What makes you think its POD? I can never tell the difference between some of these start ups.

Gopher Gold

This doesn't seem to be a POD-subsidy company. It looks like a brand new independent small press. Being so new has it's obvious pros and cons - but it's "traditional publishing" nevertheless.

Anthony Ravenscroft

My thoughts, FWIW:

-- the name sounds intentionally chosen to encourage confusion with Pushcart. The editor's named Bill Brightman, not to be confused with Bill Henderson....

-- anyone who launches a website for a book publisher, & doesn't yet have any titles, even in the pipeline, is either a scammer or a goofball. Realise that it takes 2-3 months of concerted hair-tearing effort to get a book out, from initial perfect ms to delivery from the plant!! And to be taken seriously, a house needs to put 0.5-2 years of <u>prepub[/i] promo into a book or it'll probably NEVER sell more than 1,000 copies -- period.

-- they've decided to target Manhattan for twitchy writers: <http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/wrg/818797015.html> (& only two weeks ago, at that)

In sum: if you've got an ms you can afford to lose control of for a year (or three), give Handcart a shot. Elsewise: naaaaah.

Anthony Ravenscroft

update

sorry about the blown underline....

Anyway, according to ZoomInfo:

Handcart Press
    P.O. Box 15223
    Farmington, NM 87401-5223

A.L. Sirois

Re: update

Thanks, Anthony, my BS detector was quivering. I've been in this business too long not to be suspicious,

Bill Brightman

Hi Everyone,
    I *am* a goofball, at the least. Some of my friends and family think I'm nuts for trying to start a publishing company in this economy. By the way, the name HandCart is in honor of some pioneering ancestors who crossed the plains in the 1800s with all their worldy possesions in a handcart, setting out to start over with the wide world ahead of them. No association with Pushcart is intended.

How many books will we sell? Just like any puplisher, I can't make any guarantees, but we're working hard and trying to be the best.

Yes, we're a startup. We're not POD, but we're not Random House, either. Not yet, anyway.

I'll keep you updated as things progress. You can judge our success or failure as we go!

- Bill Brightmam

Bill Brightman

Please for give the typos. I hire real editors to edit books