HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repurposing POD

A.L. Sirois

Repurposing POD

A bit of background before my question... I'm new here, but not to writing or even publishing; my first short story publication was in 1973. Over the years I had middling success but my efforts trailed off a bit after I got married in 1992 and started a family. I should mention that I never stopped writing, but I did stop writing *seriously.* I was doing okay, with Nebula and Pushcart Prize nominations to my credit, a children's book from Morrow, stories in Asimov's, etc.

I made some of my work available through POD and Fictionwise. I got decent reviews and made some money but I never really did any self-marketing.

I'm divorced now, and getting back into writing. In fact, I am hot to trot. I've been doing a monthly review column for SciFi.com for several years, and I won a short-story contest in '06, so I'm keeping myself in trim. No agent yet (I've had two or three in my time, including a guy from William Morris) but I'm shopping around.

I had written mostly science fiction but I'm now more interested in mysteries and supernatural thrillers. I have developed a series of YA mysteries set in ancient Egypt, and I'd like to get an agent for those. (One's completed, one is first-drafted.) I do also have several other books (adult mystery, fantasy, horror, even sf) in outline or first-draft form.

Now, getting to my question: I have secured rights to a few POD works (self-illustrated chapter book, YA novel, sf novel; visible here on my writers.net home page) that were published some years back, around the turn of the century. What I'd like to do is to edit these -- add some material to them -- and re-market them under new titles: essentially as new books.

Does this idea suck, or is it do-able? Obviously it would be nice to have a few additional books to flog, but not if it gives me a bad name. Please advise!

Anthony Ravenscroft

Re: Repurposing POD

I'll be darned -- I remember you from IASFM in the 1980s -- glad to hear you're back in the game!!

First of all, come on over & hack around at Ellison's site:
    <http://harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm>
    I'd like to think that the likes of Adam-Troy Castro (he's a regular there) might be interested in any sf/f stories you have. (And here's his most recent contribution to Helix: <http://www.helixsf.com/fiction/Q3_castro_livingpotus.htm>)

Anyway, I don't think your idea specifically sucks. Of course, that backlist will be worth more once you get back in the game....

A.L. Sirois

Hey, Anthony -- thanks! Harlan's using a computer these days? Will wonders never cease. :-)

I took a quick glance at the Helix site -- William Sanders' baby! He's quite a guy, Sanders. I see Adam-Troy's byline on SciFi.com pretty often, being a columnist there myself. I'll swing by Ellison's site soon for a visit.

It's nice to be stretching the muscles again...

Anthony Ravenscroft

Ellison uses a computer only under duress (he still writes only on the typewriter), but has discovered that the Internet's handy for tracking down books, music, & collectibles. (Besides, Susan does most of the heavy lifting.) The site's a fan project, but with HE's blessing & frequent visitation.

My Hidden Agenda is that, while Helix is an invite-only outlet -- their story by Janis Ian (yes, that one) is up for a Nebula -- you could do worse than get ATC's attention, or perhaps ply any connexion you have with Sanders.

Bill O'Quist

AL - You have secured rights, however you didn't author these books? Do I understand correctly? Assuming I do, you wish to add some words, edit and such, and then have them published traditionally under your name?

A.L. Sirois

No, Bill, they're all my work, all right -- no problem there. They were published as POD but didn't do very well, so I asked for the rights back. Now I'm trying to figure out how best to re-purpose them.

Bill O'Quist

Sorry I misunderstood. FWIW, I would go for it, of course, their are others here that may differ in opinion.

Linda Hiles

Best wishes to you in all you UPCOMING endeavor.

Blessings,
    Linda

G.D.

Interesting idea, good luck with it.