HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    stanley grace

why self publishing is better and cost effective

What are the challenges an author could face apart from the copyright issues, during the production of manuscript.
    How cost effective are these self publishing houses and reasons of why I should go with them.

Ann Crispin

Re: why self publishing is better and cost effective

If your book isn't good enough to be accepted by a commercial publisher, you have two choices:

1. Continue to hone your craft, write other things, write another book, and get good enough to sell commercially.

2. Self/vanity publish.

Self/vanity publishing is seldom cost-effective, especially for fiction. Most authors never recoup the money they put out. Nonfiction authors are more likely to actually make a profit, though usually a small one.

As far as I'm concerned, the only option I ever cared to pursue was Option 1. But I'm in the minority. These days, it seems, most authors want Option 2. Which is fine, as long as they don't confuse being published commercially with self/vanity publishing, because there's really no comparision insofar as distribution, sales, recognition, establishing a career, writing credentials, etc., are concerned.

Good luck.

-Ann C. Crispin

leslee

I have to disagree with Ann on this one. Self-publishing isn't only for books that aren't "good enough to be accepted by a commercial publisher. . ."

There are writers who don't want to run the traditional publishing gauntlet. Those who want books to give to their friends/family, but don't care about selling to the public. And more recently, writers who genuinely believe that self-publishing is a valid form of publication and are trying to change the mindset of readers/publishers and the writing community.

Considering the poor quality of many of the traditionally published books currently on the market, if being "good enough" was the only criteria for publishing, there'd be lots more self-published books. Luck has a lot to do with getting a book deal, along with perseverance and hitting the market at exactly the right moment for your genre.

I'm currently reading a traditionally published novel that's so soggy with bad writing, it wouldn't catch fire if I held a match to it.

Robert Raven

"As far as I'm concerned, the only option I ever cared to pursue was Option 1. But I'm in the minority. These days, it seems, most authors want Option 2."

Not. It only seems that way at this place, because we seem to have an inordinate number of people who are naive, or shills, or just plain trollish, who keep coming up with observations on how POD self-publishing is the way to go.

It isn't, not if you aspire to any sort of writing career. There's a place for POD in niche or specialty-audience books, quite a good way to do that, actually. But not for books you expect to sell in sufficient quantity to move yourself along in the writing world.

And, as Walter Cronkite used to say, "That's the way it is."

RR

julie sinclair

From Robert Raven:

>>...we seem to have an inordinate number of people who are naive, or shills, or just plain trollish, who keep coming up with observations on how POD self-publishing is the way to go. It isn't, not if you aspire to any sort of writing career.<<

That is an astonishing statement, particularly from you. "ANY sort...?" As far as I understand from your posts, Robert, you have "Some" sort of a POD career publishing public domain Civil War books. Why discourage someone else when you don't even know the specifics of what they plan to do?

You say, "There's a place for POD in niche or specialty-audience books, quite a good way to do that, actually."

THAT, is a good point to make! If would-be POD writers/publishers have (1) a target audience, (2) a clear understanding of how to reach them (either in person or online--brick and mortar probably isn't going to work out too well), and the ability to research and implement what they need to do to make a quality product on their own...I don't see any reason why we should discourage them from trying.

Not every writer's definition of "success" or "satisfaction" is measured by being on the best seller list.

I think people should realize they are unlikely to be able to make a living as a writer with POD (unless they have people who HAVE to buy their books--e.g. teachers/students). And they should realize they MAY not even get back the money they put into it.

And they should know enough not to get cheated.

Beyond that...why be so discouraging? Perhaps "one person's troll is another person's future POD success story..."

Anthony Ravenscroft

Julie, some writers think that "success" is spending $20,000 to have 500 copes of their book mouldering in the garage. I don't begrudge them that sense of satisfaction, but it's probably not what most people would call success. Therefore, there are curmudgeons about who call wide-sweeping, unexamined "everybody knows what that means" terms into question.

julie sinclair

From Anthony (Negative-and-Sarcastic-as-Ever-to-Aspiring-POD- Writers/Publishers) Ravenscroft:

>>Julie, some writers think that "success" is spending $20,000 to have 500 copes of their book mouldering in the garage.<<

Yes, and perhaps that's what I meant by DOING RESEARCH to know what is realistic and NOT GETTING CHEATED.

>>Therefore, there are curmudgeons about who call wide-sweeping, unexamined "everybody knows what that means" terms into question.<<

There are undoubtedly well-meaning curmudgeons here.

And then...there's you.

CASS

Julie wrote:I have to disagree with Ann on this one. Self-publishing isn't only for books that aren't "good enough to be accepted by a commercial publisher. . ."/L

Julie, Ann didn't say "only" no where in post does she say that. You've twisted her words.

C.

julie sinclair

>>>Julie, Ann didn't say "only" no where in post does she say that. You've twisted her words.<<<

Oh? Please double-check the post, Cass. It was from leslee.

Not me.

leslee

Yeah, Cass. If you're going to nitpick, get my name right.

And you might get the part that I'm quoting correct as well. I know Ann didn't say "only." That's why I didn't include it as part of her quote.

I didn't twist anything.