HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Says

Wesley McDaniel

Simon Says

I respect your opinions and others who posted in Richards thread...however I noticed that you and the others who are so passionate about using Agents have nothing at all about you in your profiles. I don't know who you work for or what you do other than the opinions you express in this thread.

I have considered all options ie traditional publishing, agents, vanity press and POD. I do read Writers Digest every month so it's not like I just woke up one day and said I will use POD. I am not saying Agents are not valuable it is just not for everyone. I don't agree with you assesment that it can not be used as a stepping stone. If one has a book published that does give the author credibility when they seek a publisher the traditional way.

Simon Says

Re: Simon Says

Wesley the reason it can't be used as a stepping stone is that legitimate publishers do not consider POD to be published. There is no quality control in POD or self-publishing - the worst writing in the world is as welcome as the best.

Anyone and everyone can and has every right to sing in their own showers. But those who sing off-key, have horrible voices, etc. are not going to be offered a record contract. It's the same for writers. Most people can write - but most aren't good enough and/or don't understand the craft enough to do it professionally.

Publishing is or at least should be the milieu of professional writers. The dictionary describes someone as a professional who recieves pay and/or has a greater skill. That is the definition I am using here. Having a greater skill. being good enough so that someone would pay you to write something for them.

I and the others who champion agents do so primarily because we have taken the time to educate ourselves about how this business works. It is not a vast conspiracy to entrap writers into using agents. And even a small amount of research would lead you to realize the vital role that an agent plays.

I don't think our credentials come into play here - some have had publishing success, some have agents, some do not, but we all understand the business well enough to see POD for what it is. It's our knowledege, not our resumes that matter here

There are in fact situations where POD is an appropriate choice. But the only way one can truly know if POD is right for them is to really understand publishing. Your belief that it can be used as a stepping stone and gives one "author credibility" says to me that you do not have that understanding yet.

Wesley McDaniel

Ok lets just cut to it..who do you work for and what authors have you represented? If you are a writer what works have you had published by using an agent?

Simon Says

I have been quite open on these boards about what I do - but I'm not going to repeat it here for you because quite frankly I don't like your attitude.

Quite frankly, I don't care if you believe me or not. Go ahead, continue to delude yourself, include your POD published book in your query letter.

Wesley McDaniel

My attitude???? You are the one who seems to be taking all of this personally. I thought we were just having an honest discourse. I said nothing about not believing you.

Simon Says

"Okay let's cut to the chase... who do you work for?..."

You don't think that comes across as attitude?

I don't take any of this personally - I just strongly believe that your belief that POD will help a writer gain credibility is dead wrong and I don't like the idea of writers who don't know any better buying into that belief and then choosing POD.

There is really no way to avoid rejection and pain if one seriously desires a professional writing career. It's a fact of life. Those who think they can take a POD detour and skip the rejection part of it are fooling themselves. You are free to do so, it's the fooling others into buying into the foolishness that I have issues with.

Wesley McDaniel

Ok maybe I worded that wrong. I am just interested in what you do and how it helped you. I gather you were an agent. I am not saying your way is not at all valid.

Simon Says

I am not an agent, nor have I ever been one, but I work with writers both professional and aspiring ones and I've had an agent represent my screenplays. I work in Hollywood where everything is about who you know and I knew very few people in the publishing world and so I spent a lot of time researching it so that when my novel is complete I will not be flying blind. And I have learned a hell of alot, I listened to those who knew more than me. I am very clear on my own goals. I now know pretty much every step I need to take to get where I want to be, what I will have to do for myself, what I should leave to the professionals. I know where to look and what to expect. And I also discovered that I am more connected to the publishing world than I had imagined - which is a nice bonus, because it will allow me to be referred to a number of agents, which will pretty much guarantee me a read. But I also know that getting a read guarantees nothing - and so I have compiled a list of 80 or so additional agents that I can query.

The point is I took the time to really understand this world I want to be a part of. My professional experience may have speeded up the learning process, there are some similarities (i.e. the role of the agent) - but I entered this process as a complete novice who knew almost nothing.

leslee

Wesley, I can't understand what your hostility is based on. You did what you wanted to do (POD), and you're happy with it. Fine. But why knock Simon because she doesn't agree? She is not required to provide references for you.

Sarah Klein

Wesley,
    What Simon is trying to tell you is that when you have a book printed using POD or other variations of vanity publishing you have not been published -- you have had a book printed. If that's what you want, by all means do it, but don't think that means you've had anything published or will have a publishing credit.
    There are people who call themselves actors because they've been in school plays or performed in community theaters, but are not members of SAG, AEA or AFTRA and have never had a paying gig. Nobody can stop them from telling others that they are actors, but it is simply not true. Ditto for "singers" who make their own CDs or "artists" who have never sold a painting. Hope this helps to clear it up for you.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    Sarah