HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Donald E Clem

Re: Tate

None of your answers makes any sense. What do they have to do with layout design?

Olga Gardner Galvin

"The author of a book had written about how to spot a poor layout. One of them was that some chapters begin on the left hand page. Why does that make a poor layout?"

It doesn't. When a book has to be kept under a certain number of pages, and it has a lot of chapters, leaving the left-hand page blank is stupid and wasteful. It also looks unattractive, which is why a competent designer will find a way to either spread the preceding chapter so that it ends on a left-hand page so s/he can start the next chapter on the right-hand page, or fill the blank left-hand page with an illustration, but it's not something to sweat, as the preceding chapter more often than not can't be spread that far, and there may be no illustrations in the book.

In fact, a book where all chapters start on the right-hand pages at the expense of leaving some left-hand pages blank, is a sign of a poor, amateurish layout.

The question among most New York book designers I know is not whether to start a chapter on the left-hand page (because the answer is yes, of course), but whether the chapter heading should mirror that of the right-hand page or be parallel to it. I.e., if the head on the right-hand page is flush right, should the head on the left-hand page be flush left? I say yes, and I do that in my layouts; some designers disagree. I forget what their reasoning is, but both ways are legitimate.

Ali MacBoyd

Thank you, Olga. I now got some professional information.

I was beginning to think that this forum had change topics to: No matter what the question, the answer will be base on my bad relationship with religion.

I hate it when someone who hates religion tries to quote it to prove their pointless point.

Ogla, in your professional opinion What is success for a 1st time author in sales?

Ali

Olga Gardner Galvin

I don't know. Some 1st-time authors are happy to sell a book to a total stranger who, as distinct from their friends and family, doesn't have to buy it but is just interested. Some feel their publisher failed them if they don't outsell Dan Brown within months of publication.

It's all about the attitude. Success is subjective.

Donald E Clem

Olga thanks for the answer. According to your post, "In fact, a book where all chapters start on the right-hand pages at the expense of leaving some left-hand pages blank, is a sign of a poor, amateurish layout," then quite a few books on my shelves fall into that category and they are from major publishing houses. I have others from major publishers that have poor grammar, missing punctuation, misspelled words, and formatting issues with misplaced sentences due to improper chapter breaks.

Olga Gardner Galvin

Maybe the "right-hand chapter start only" used to be a rule in the past? It certainly isn't now. Maybe it has something to do with how layout was done before Quark and PageMaker, when design/layout options were far more limited? John probably knows.

As for the typos, etc., I could tell you some horror stories about the production conveyor belt in some major publishing houses -- but we're so-o on the wrong thread for that.

Roy Abrahams

I laughed myself right out of my chair on this one . . . "I hate it when someone who hates religion tries to quote it to prove their pointless point."

You think I was serious? You think I actually think it says that in the Bible? I guess you must. So the laugh is on you in spades.

Love it when someone who loves religion can't tell when their leg is being pulled.

Lordluvaduk but this thread is funny.

Olga Gardner Galvin

Oh dear, Roy, are you freaking out decent, God-fearing folk again? Shame on you, you bunny-eater. Shame, I say!

Roy Abrahams

No, Olga, I'm not. They're freaking out on their own. And there is nothing I can do to help but suggest they take the mark of the beast when the time comes for that important decision.

Here comes Peter Cottontail,
    Hopping down the bunny trail,
    Hippity thump thump,
    Hippity thump thump,
    Poor little guy has polio.

So I ate him.

Do you know why the easter bunny hides his eggs?
    Because he doesn't want anyone to know he's screwing chickens.

So I ate him.