HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Olga Gardner Galvin

on trying to avoid shady publishers

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this discussion, and the reason I wandered in is that I was checking out the reputation of Tate Publishing. I saw their Google ad on Book Standard, and it said "Get your book published today." I'm a small publisher, and I can tell you it takes considerably longer than "today" to get your book published, so any publisher who offers to publish it today sounds odd to me.

I didn't see anywhere on their site the request for $4,000, but numerous people here mention it, and that's a dead giveaway of a vanity press, their claims to the contrary notwithstanding. A publisher who wants any money from you for anything, upfront, is a vanity publisher.

I recently wrote a fairly extensive article on what to expect from small, alternative publishing. Perhaps some of you would be interested in reading it on writingshow.com (http://writingshow.com/?page_id=45); it answers a lot of questions. Or, if you have any other questions, post them here, and I\'ll check in from time to time.

To preempt the question "what's in it for her and why is she bothering?": as I write in this article, "As a small independent publisher with experience in working in big publishing, Iím naturally concerned about unrealistic expectations that aspiring authors appear to have ó concerned both because these authors are cruising for a bruising and because most small publishers donít deserve the acrimony that frequently ensues when authors sign contracts without first learning a few things about publishing."

Best,
    Olga

Carol O

Re: on trying to avoid shady publishers

A great way to avoid shady publishers (and agents), is to avoid any who advertise via Google ad, or in the back of magazines.

Ann Crispin

Tate Publishing is definitely a vanity press.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware
    www.writerbeware.com

Vane Mac Ewan

Excellent article Olga. I now have a better understanding of the industry. Thanks.

Gopher Gold

If the publisher make it obvious that it is a vanity press, then I don't see anything wrong with that. The authors should know what they are getting into. Only if they try to pass themselves off as traditional would it be considered shady.

Carol O

Quite true. But now we get to debate charging $4,000 for what ya can get for $400 elsewhere. ;-)

Gopher Gold

In this case I agree with you. As Olga mentioned, their fees are not immediately apparent on their site at all. Since I've seen the owner of Tate respond here recently, I think that is something he should address if he does not want to appear deceptive. Most other POD's state right out what their fees are.

Ryan Tate

Olga,

If you will visit our request more information page on our website at www.tatepublishing.com you will receive and FAQ email that explains the author investment as well as the process and waht each author will go through with Tate Publishing. We are not a vanity publisher. Yes we charge and initial fee, but a successful book that sells 5000 copies, the author will receive their investment back and we will do their next book for free. In this calendar year alone we have already had five authors acheive this and expect several more before the end of the year. Also, we have no requirements for authors to buy any books back from us. We market the books direct to the bookstores for our authors and enter into relationships with our authors that last for years on the marketing side alone. We have a excellent in house marketing staff as well as Key Marketing Group out of Tulsa, OK, and are having great success. Other companies charge betwen $10,000 and $15,000 with no option of getting your money back for what we do. We received over 15,000 manuscripts last year and only published 4% of those. Another factor is that we pay for all of the books bought and sold in the bookstores and through any distribution network, not the author. We provide a wonderful service. Yes we have an initial author investment fee, but that is the only similarity we have to your typical "vanity" publishers. If any of you have any specific questions you would like answered send me an email to info@tatepublishing.com, my staff will get it to my attention. Hope this helps, I will try and get in here as much as possible, but sometimes busy schedules makes it hard. If you would like something answered quickly just shoot me an email.

Thanks,

Ryan Tate
    President, Tate Publishing

Roy Abrahams

Dear Mr. Tate:

Would it be out of line to ask you to furnish us the names of those five authors who have experienced success with your publishing company? This is asked with the idea that the best recommendation a company can have is the word of a happy customer. Such positive testamonies from the individuals themselves would go a long way in removing the doubts expressed here and in other threads recently started.

Regards..........Roy Abrahams

Olga Gardner Galvin

Mr. Tate:

Why would I want to fill out a form to get more information? I'm not looking for a publisher, nor seriously investigating your way of doing business. If I were looking for a publisher, I'd fully expect the FAQs or some variations thereof to be posted in full view on your site, or I'd move along and keep looking.

This -- "Yes we have an initial author investment fee, but that is the only similarity we have to your typical 'vanity' publishers." -- I'm afraid, is the reason so many people lump you in with vanity publishers, since you do not undertake the full financial risk in case the book does not sell 5,000 copies. When a real publisher commits to publishing a book, and the book doesn't make it, the financial loss is all his. Many small publishers don't pay advances, but charge an author so much as a dime to offset your risk and/or expenses, and your legitimacy as a traditional publisher is severely compromised. For $4,000, an enterprising author can self-publish, and I mean SELF-publish, as distinct from vanity-publish.