HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    John Rigo

Recent experience with Tate Publishing company out of Oklahoma

I am a senior citizen and self employed business person who has been writing poetry for a hobby for over twenty years. I started going back to college recently and have been encouraged by individuals with PhD\\\\\\\'s to publish my poetry. I started my search on the net which has proved to be interesting.

Recently I came across Tate Publishing out of Oklahoma on the net. I was fairly impressed with the site (even thought I am a practicing Christian I did find a little too much \\\\\\\"We are a wonderful God-fearing company\\\\\\\" which is generally a \\\\\\\"red flag to me\\\\\\\". Have you ever noticed \\\\\\\"crooks\\\\\\\" are the first to tell you what great Christians they are?\\\\\\\") On my dime I took time to make a phone call and spoke with Janey the manuscript managers whom I was very impressed with. We spoke over the phone for twenty minutes. Based on the conversation, I forwarded my manuscript. I received numerous e-mails encouaging me from that point on to read about the company. I downloaded their brochure which was mainly a picture book with little meat in addressing specific questions. I was aware they reguired a $4000 investment on the part of a \\\\\\\"selected author\\\\\\\" since they spent in little Oklahoma about $16000 to $21000 thousand (so they claimed) of their money to promote a book they selected).
    I sent an e-mail to the founder of the company which asked simply \\\\\\\"how many authors had they actually refunded the $4000 to and could they verify that information with a CPA firm? They claimed that they refunded these books when 5,000 books were sold. Since I have been in Marketing and Sales Training for over forty years, I felt my question was a reasonable one. The response I received from the President of the company was both insulting and completedlhy \\\\\\\"off the wall\\\\\\\" indicating this is a \\\\\\\"racket being operated out of Oklahoma\\\\\\\". Run, do not walk away from these folks.

[Please Note: Ryan Tate, President of Tate Publishing, rejects Mr Rigo's description of the contact between himself and Mr Rigo and would like that to be known. (Hamish - WritersNet)]

John Rigo

Re: Recent experience with Tate Publishing company out of Oklahoma

I might add to this e-mail, do not be taken in by the negative sale approach....it is the oldest con in the world. As many have said on this site, "All monies should flow to the author, not the company". Do not let that, "We are the big shots" and you are the "nobody" get to you, just move on because you just entered the twilight zone of another internet con on the net. By the way, their printing is done in Houston, not in Mustang, OK. More than likely by some company like LuLu for pennies and they have a big family party on the difference of that $4000 YOU PAY!

[Please Note: Ryan Tate, President of Tate Publishing, takes issue with some comments in this post: "I can assure you we are not a 'con'" and would like that to be known. (Hamish -WritersNet)]

John Hess

Wow, I have published two books with them and my experience has been completely different. They have done a wonderful job and the founder was extremely nice and very helpful. I had a team of two editors and graphic artist and I have already sold over 2000 books. If they decided not to publish you book you shouldn't be so negative towards them, it is just how the industry works. I would highly recommend them, but I am sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.

John Rigo

Mr. Hess,

It is a known fact companies such as this make it a point to cover their butts on these boards. If you have noted, my question was directed to the owner of the company the same day I submitted my manuscript. It has no bearing on approval or non-approval. My question is: (1)what is the title of your books?, (2) What is the publishing dates with Tate? There is no doubt your comments are a plant on this site since there are many other negative comments concerning Tate on this site and their "mickey mouse" negative approach to selling their program in a town of about 100 with printing done in Houston. My next major question deals with the same question that the owner refused to address, "How many of their authors have ever hit that 5,000 mark and had their $4000 returned to them. The answer I am sure is NONE! It is a big come-on.

John Rigo

A search accomplished just a few minutes ago indicates no John Hess on any of the sites like Amazon.com which is a normal source outlet for Tate. Nothing on Google except Mr.Hess a noted newspaper reporter who wrote two books died recently at 87. Welcome back from the death Mr. Hess lol.!!!!!!

John Hess

You are very strange. I use a pen name so that people like you leave me alone. Good luck trying to find a publisher!

Texas Poet

This is called the old nail in the coffin for Tate. Searching the tate site: www.tatepublishing.com There is no John Hess or any Hess listed as one of their authors. We rest our case! Verify search under "H" in search on their very own site. The reason "mickey-mouse" are always good against honest folks, is because those that commit the "mickey-mouse" are experts on taking money from folks!

Texas Poet

By the way Mr. Phoney Hess, I "did not trouble you." You are the one that came on site with your phoney review for Tate. Sorry you got caught. That so called "paper-mill" PhD of the founder did not work this time. Still, there is no hard feelings on my part. I am happy....Tate did not get my money by showing their ass on their false advertising. Thank you God for protecting me from the unjust and dishonest. Site members be alerted to this scam.

Texas Poet

My statements considering Tate Publishing Company are entirely retracted since a personal phone call was made by the owner of the company this afternoon personally to me. It was a situation of two grown men making bad decisions at both the same time. Thank you folks on site for your time. I feel that this company be honorable in their dealings whether I use them or not in the future for my personal book of poetry.

Ann Crispin

Four thousand bucks "investment???"

FOR POETRY?????????

Run away!

It's a scam!

Signed,

Professional scam hunter...

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware
    www.writerbeware.com