HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Authorhouse

Kathy Zobeck

Authorhouse

Does anyone have experience with using Authorhouse\'s services for self-publication? Thanks.

Ann Crispin

Re: Authorhouse

Authorhouse is a typical vanity POD publisher. Read about them on Writer Beware. www.writerbeware.com

If you aren't interested in starting a career as a writer, and mainly want to just have a printed book to show people, then Authorhouse may be okay, though there are cheaper services that will do the same thing.

Lulu.com and booklocker.com are two of them.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware
    www.writerbeware.com
    Author: STORMS OF DESTINY/HarperEos
    www.accrispin.com

Kathy Zobeck

Thanks Ann. I've just been researching and reading about pro's and con's regarding self-publishing. I have been contacted by Authorhouse but after all the reading I've done, I am unimpressed with my findings regarding POD's at this time. I appreciate your thoughts.

Robert Raven

I recommend Lulu to anyone seriously considering POD self-publishing. They are straightforward, honest, produce excellent physical quality, and are inexpensive. BUT I do not recommend self-publishing in any form for anyone with aspirations to sell large numbers of fiction books. It remains a niche market, with the occasional big success story, almost always of someone who has found a niche non-fiction market and has the means and ability to exploit it.

RR

Johnny Hess

I agree 100% with Robert Raven. I have a site at Lulu where I publish one of my own books, but also reprint out-of-coyright Civil War memoirs. I get more royalties from that little online Lulu bookstore than i get from my two traditionally published books. I recommend Lulu highly. It works for me. If you want to see my site, it's at http://www.lulu.com/LION . But this ain't spam and anyone who thinks it is, just don't go there. I'm talking to Kathyy and Robert, anyhow.

Andrew Spriggs

So wait, with Lulu you receive 100% of the profits--they simply print the book?

If so, then wow. I've really heard some bad information.

The chief difference between vanity and self-pub is the profit situation (there are other differences, but that's another conversation). Vanity publishers make you pay for your book to be published, and then they give you a royalty (not FULL profits). That kinda seems like a scam to me.

However, self-publishing printers make you pay for your book to be published, but then after you've received the copies--they don't bother you anymore. It really is much harder than traditional publishing (but then, getting accepted traditionally is pretty hard too) as Robert Raven says, but you have COMPLETE control of profits and pricing.

However, you also take full responsibility for marketing, costs, etc.

Andrew Spriggs

If I got that all wrong, then, I need some 'splainin.

James Macdonald

Yeah, that's pretty much it with Lulu. How good the book looks depends on your skill with formatting. You can upload your own covers or use their generic covers. The text -- what you upload is what they print. If it's three hundred pages of "Able was I ere I saw Elba," then that's what'll be in the book. GIGO: Garbage in, garbage out. You can buy an ISBN as an add-on, but if you aren't doing that, no cost. There's a base cost for printing, they take a percentage of the cover price, the rest is yours to do with as you will. Physical quality is the same as any digitally printed PoD book. They make no claim to owning the book, or any rights. They're a printer.

You're on your own for marketing. You can chose to have it listed on their site, or not.

You want to see my Lulu book?

<http://www.lulu.com/content/102550>

Darren Hogan

AuthorHouse is a horrific scam

I learnt too late that AuthorHouse is toxic, and one of the nastiest scams I've dealt with in my life.

My hell with Authorhouse started on 24 May 2010 through a misleading website called findyourpublisher.com, which is a bogus fraud site funnelling unsuspecting authors towards AuthorHouse and their partner scams. My first mistake - I gave them my contact details. I was conned into paying them around $1000 to publish my first book which I was told would be available at Amazon. The result was a shoddy, poorly produced crappy book which no reader would waste their time with. The book is still not available at Amazon or anywhere - I just get excuses.

Authorhouse is a scam, and they have stolen my dollars and succeeded in rubbishing of my work, that has left me deflated and completely disillusioned.

AuthorHouse should change their name to AuthorScam. These fraudsters have turned fraud into an artform, and it's time for government agencies to start taking a look at AuthorHouse and their partner companies, iUniverse, Trafford and Xlibris.

If you're a writer reading this: this is your wake up call. AUTHORHOUSE IS A HORRIFIC SCAM. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY.

Further Info: Authorhouse

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience, Darren.