HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1chapter

Claud Lowe

1chapter

I, personally, opted out of PA and went with 1chapter and lulu.
    Granted lulu prices are high and 1chapter is strictly Ebook.
    I can say that 1chapter had my book up on site in less than four hours after complete submission. Now that's fast.
    Yes, they do charge a publishing fee. So what. $40 isn't a great big deal as there are no contracts and no other fees, period.
    I sold a copy the next day. Now that's fast too.
    I still don't know about sales at lulu yet and I'm waiting on my proof copy to come.
    If the cover is anything like it shows, it's very beautiful and eyecatching.
    This is my first novel and I think's it's great just to be published anywhere.
    Anyone know the cheapest place to promote my book.
    I have it on Author's Den, here, and my own site at
    www.refugecl.com?
    Thanks.

Sandy Henry

Re: 1chapter

Claud--

I posted a reply an hour ago, but it seems to have disappeared...

Anyway, your website looks good, and your book cover is very eye-catching. I don't recall whether you said your Lulu book is available as a trade paperback and download, but I had some ideas for you.

I'm pretty sure lulu books aren't returnable, so if that's the case and you can't get big chain bookstores to stock your title, maybe you can get an author chat/book signing gig at a Christian bookstore. I've noticed quite a few signs at local churches for upcoming holiday craft shows--maybe you can show off your book that way, since that's the audience you seem to be targeting.

Also, if your book is only available as an e-book, I'd spend the extra money and have lulu make you a trade paper version, as well. I've heard some good things about lulu, and it looks like the rendered a nice book for you.

As for websites, I think you might want to look for a few targeted at readers, not writers, which is pretty much what author's den is. I've gotten feedback for some of my smaller works there, but I'm not sure any other writers on that site have purchased my book. They're too busy promoting their own.

Hope that helps a little.

Good luck,

Sandy
    www.sandyhenry.com

Claud Lowe

They told me that you can return damaged merchandise or so they said.

I'll let you know how my proof comes out as it's due by day after tomorrow and, yes, I am excited.
    cl

Sandy Henry

Claud--

good luck with your lulu book. I'm sure you are very excited. I was thrilled to get my book in my hands, but I think that seeing the cover for the first time was just as cool.

As for book returnability, the primary reason that it's such a crucial factor in POD publishing is for the bookstore's protection. Not from damaged books (all damaged books should be returnable). Rather, it's a form of "insurance" that protects the retailer from getting stuck with an untested author's title, or in some cases, poorly edited or badly written books, that don't sell.

There are thousands of writers who boast that their infamous publisher is "traditional and not POD". But sadly, only the truly savvy and persistent authors of these books get said books onto bookstore shelves. Their titles are simply not returnable, so many of these authors, thrilled and proud that they haven't paid a single red penny to get their book published, are enticed to purchase hundreds of copies of their own books just to get an amazon sales ranking...

For those who chose this route with their eyes wide open, good luck and God Bless. But to those who whine and complain, sign their contracts without reading them, etc., what more can I say?

sandy

Claud Lowe

You can say that again. I just got my proof and the cover is, well, WOW! It is just as advertised and the book was very well done. If I compared it to offset, I doubt I could tell the difference.
    Oh, oh, my wife's got it and is reading it.
    Well, thanks for the encouragement.
    CL

Roscoe Barnes III

Congrats, Claude!

I see your book is religious. Is it Christian?

If so, are you targeting churches for sales/promotion?

Roscoe

Roscoe Barnes III

Oops. I added an "e" to your name. Sorry.

Roscoe

Claud Lowe

Don't worry about the "e". That's common. Thanks for your kind words.
    My book is Christian, or should I say Biblical Fiction, as it is written based on no specific faith. I did my best to use scripture exclusively as written.
    I am considering churches and that avenue. I do have one outlet setup and am going to revise my manuscript at the site I have mentioned.
    Somehow two different manuscripts got combined into one and it was printed as one book with two complete manuscripts, each slightly different.
    Thanks again and best to you in your efforts.
    Claud