HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New POD Book

Robert Stephenson

New POD Book

www.altair-australia.com/altair

Last time I announced the launch of my own collection, this time I am announcing a book from a brand new writer (this is her first book). "The Rhesus Factor" by Sonny Whitelaw is what the Queensland State Parliament suggested was vital reading for all parliamentarians. So influential was the story that even in first draft manuscript form it was tabled during and environmental speech to the sitting parliament.

This is a book set 20 years into our future, yet what it suggests in the story line we can actually see happening in our world today. Part Sci Fi, but mostly political and environmental thriller this book goes where the Hollywood blockbuster 'THe Day After' feared to tread.

Random House USA turned down this book, not because of the writing, not because of the story but as said to me by the senior editor (who wanted to run with the book) the conservative nature of the other editors baulked at the political significance and perhaps backlash it would envoke.

Altair Australia jumped at the chance to do this book and if you want to know what a good first book needs to be like, check it out.

UK book reviewer Jennifer Etherton wrote, '...if only all good fiction were so well thought out and told ... it wasn't only a great read, but it was frightening as well.'

As books come to hand - well, when I publish them, I'll let you know about them. I won't be doing many a year, but the ones I will be doing are excellent.

www.altair-australia.com/altair "The Rhesus Factor" by Sonny Whitelaw - the opening chapter is online.

Robert Stephenson

Ralph Daugherty

Re: New POD Book

The next Steinbeck's and Hemingway's will apparently come from POD publishers. The insulated, incestuoous New York publishing industry knows only how to chase after big names, not having the sense that the public does as to whether the drivel from these big names is worth reading.

Yesterday after a Lithuanian beat the crap out of an NBA all-star team in the Olympics, he was asked why the NBA didn't want him. He said "I must not be good enough for the NBA. If 30 teams say that I can't play, then I can't play."

Ralph

ellen reisling

Ralph:

What do you call drivel by big names? You should be more specific as I found no such writing on the best-selling list. I read all new bestsellers and can discuss any title while you make such claims without any support of evidence. You are wrong saying NYC publishing industry is dumb as a door knob. Quite the opposite, it's top of the line professional publishers who sell books not talk about it.
    As to sports, I only care for tennis.
    And the next Hemingway won't come from POD.

Ellen

Andrew Spriggs

Ouchie! I've got my flame shields...

But, I have to lend toward ellen, for different reasons. The only way a bestseller will come of POD, WHICH IS A TECHNOLOGY!!!!, is that the New York-based publishers switch to PoD.

However, most people, when they refer to PoD, they refer to new publishers, new contracts, etc., and I do not believe that slip-sliding to get books published is a good wave to the future.

Until Pod-based publishers get a proven track record (several sales, not random hits with an overwhelming amount of misses), I'll stay with the NYC any day.

Ralph Daugherty

Hi Andrew,

I said POD publisher, not POD. Just because a real publisher uses the technology when called for doesn't make them a POD publisher. You of course knew that when you refer to POD-based publisher later. But POD publisher will suffice for me.

I disagree with you, and that was the point of my original post. A current Steinbeck or Hemingway will have to pay to publish their work of art because New York can't deal with great but controversial writing. It has nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof of the other 99.9% of writers who also pay to publish their work.

You and I of course have no way to know which new Steinbeck or Hemingway will emerge from those that paved their own path while New York cowers until it emerges as a best seller through word of mouth.

You can stay with the megasloths that constitute what is known as the publishing industry as they grind all writing into the same bland unrecognizable pulp, guaranteed to be devoid of Steinbeck and Hemingway by New York editors. I for one will take the lesser chosen path.

Ralph

Robert Stephenson

The thing that most writers miss is that major publishers all around the world use POD technology for their limited runs and sometimes reprint lists.

It is only a technology, and it is true a best seller will come via this method one day, maybe not in the next couple of years, but itn will come. You just need a good book and the NY Times book reviewers to stop taking their tips from the big publishers. Ebery now and again a small publisher gets a look in on the reviews pages, but this has taken quite a lot of publisher andf writer leg work.

Best sellers can be made these days, and they aren't all good books.

Robert

Who is using POD technology for specialty books mainly - but Rhesus is a rare bird.

Ralph Daugherty

The point about POD publishers is that writers pay to publish whatever they write unencumbered by New York, so great but controversial writers will emerge from there because they can.

rd

ellen reisling

Ralph:

No great but controversial writers will emerge from POD. Not now not ever.

Ellen

Wonky

When people here say POD they mean ****ty companies like Xlibris and you all know it. Don't give us that "technology" crap.

Ralph Daugherty

Wonky, good to see you fired up, ****'s and all.

Ralph