HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Dee Power

New York Times and PublishAmerica

PublishAmerica previously announced to its authors that it had been approached by the New York Times to consider a partnership. And oh by the way PA in the same email offered a special deal to their authors to buy their own books and still receive a royalty.

A month later PublishAmerica announces that they are buying a half page ad in the New York Times Book Review. An ad. An advertisement is not a partnership. In the ad will be a list of the top ten bestselling PA books.

In the same announcement they say:

"The list will be determined by the number of sales in the preceding four weeks. Cut-off date is the last day of each month. The first next cut-off date is August 31. The ten PublishAmerica books that by that day have sold the most copies in the past four weeks will make it to PublishAmerica's monthly topseller list in the New York Times. All sales will be counted, since publishers don't distinguish between bookstores and individuals buying their books. Even books bought by the authors count!"

"Even books bought by the authors count" is the key sentence. It would seem the objective of the NYT ad for PA is for them to sell more books to their authors, rather than the general book buying public.

The NYT ad costs about $20,000. PA pays Lightning Source their print on demand printer, about $4.50 for a 250 page trade paperback. The average price of a PA book is about $20.00. At a 50% discount PA makes $5.50 for each book sold to an author. If only 100 of their authors buy 100 books each in an attempt to get their book in the NYT ad, PA has made $55,000. So they have a profit of $35,000.

Pretty clever.

Dee Power

so called partnership considers a part

Millie Nunnelee

Re: New York Times and PublishAmerica

Hello,
    Unfortunately, I am a PA author. What can I say. I just htought I was that good. When they accepted my work and sent me the contract I thought I have finally after al this hard work scored.
    Yea, ask me how many books I bought and I will have to tell a lie and promise there are not boxes in my barn waiting to be sold

I am not seeking an agent.

web master

I never bought the whole New York Times partnership thing either. Then again, I never really thought twice about it.

Robert Amoroso

Now, now enough of the Sinicism. Of course this is a "win, win" situation for PA, and "us" authors. It's a positive step in the right direction. Now weather one chooses to mortgage their homes to buy books that's their choice.

Obviously it's a very foolish choice, but their choice never-the-less!

I mean folks I've heard of some pretty famous "brand name authors" doing the same thing...buying their books!

Perhaps it's because my "business" in the real world is marketing, I just assumed that the "partnership" was nothing more then purchasing ad space, but again it's a step in the right direction.

PA has afforded many first time authors an opportunity to get up close and personal in this business. Most will never get past their first book, and few will in all probability go further then their talents will take them. The hand fill that will persevere will hopefully get into a more "mainstream" environment.

I view PA as I would my first "date" and finding out about girls, and the opportunities that are out there. They've given me a peek at the possibilities. My next novel is more ambitious, as is my desire to succeed.

Amo

Ann Crispin

I wish more authors who feel they have been taken in by Publish America's deliberately misleading pronouncements on their website would register a complaint with the Maryland Attorney General's Office. This time last year, one complaint had been registered. When I checked this past week, 10 complaints were on file.

The office told me that if they received a large number of complaints within a fairly short time span (say, 25-30), they would have the basis to "do something" about Publish America. Whether this means open a formal investigation, I don't know.

In the past, I've posted the address to write hardcopy letters to the Maryland AG's Office. If anyone wants me to post it again, I will.

-Ann C. Crispin

Bruce Robinson

Only ten complaints? In this litigious world, that is a very small amount. I wonder how many "complaints" were filed against UHaul last year? I know personally of three... hmm... perhaps we need to open up an anti-uhaul site?
    If PA deals with even remotely the number of authors (and I use that term loosely) that they say, then ten compaints from people who had no idea what a contract even was would be a negligible amount.
    Anyone done any checking into how many people are unhappy with the performance of their "traditional" publisher? Wonder if any "complaints" have been filed against them. I am sure there have been, since it is human nature to piss and moan about how badly they have been treated!