HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Robert Stephenson

In Print at Last

Sorry for the second posting but the website went down, got completely rebuilt, went down again and is now up

http://www.altair-australia.com/altair/wwbh.html

Finally my book We Would Be Heroes is up

It's like giving birth only nowhere near as painful

Robert N Stephenson

Some rather good writers read it and liked it, so they've said a bit on the site as well.

ellen reisling

Re: In Print at Last

Robert:

It's not my kind of reading. Sorry, I don't like the sample and won't buy your book.

Ellen

Robert Stephenson

Slap in the face

Sorry you didn't like the sample story, but as this was a prize winner in a literary (not SF) competition I'll go with their opinion on this.

And seeing as two NY Times best selling authors also liked the book, and have in fact purchased copies, I'll stay with their opinion on it as well.

You are entitled to your opinions of course, but I see no reason for your slap in the face response here.

Robert N Stephenson

Alex Kachmar

Re: Slap in the face

Sorry Robert but i have to agree with ellen. I have no intention of making a slap in the face, but i thought the sample was quite dire. sorry.

web master

lol

I guess posting a writing sample here is like hitting on a woman in a bar.

Robert Stephenson

Perhaps Dire isn't the right word, as the story was in the Horror genre - never read too many up beat and happyb clappy styles there.

I might change the sample, but to what good?

I didn't post a sample on Writers.net, this is on the publisher's site.

Interesting thoughts, none the less.

Robert

Ralph Daugherty

Both of those "people" that commented on your short story are brand new here, with one making "his" very first post to opine on the direness of it all. I think this has nothing to do with what you wrote, it takes some effort to even load the link in a window and get to it, but in fact with the voodoo nature of this site and the pathos of someone who creates characters to attack agents. You are a particularly loathsome target for this individual given your financially innovative agenting as it is.

Now havimg dismissed these characters for what they were created to be, let me comment as someone who is a real person and read it. I think the short story would have won an award in its genre of sci-fi horror short stories. I would never spend time reading them, but I'm sure many would. However, I checked Amazon and the book isn't listed, and neither is anything else under your name. I guess it's new and not there yet, but publishers list their books months in advance. I wa sunder the impression you had something published before but maybe not.

rd

Robert Stephenson

No, this is my first "BOOK" I have had oodles of published short works in magazine around the world and I ran a good SF Magazine for a few years.

As the book was published in Australia it doesn't qualify to be listed on Amazon - to do this I have to have an office in the states. So much for free trade.

Anyway - it will soon be listed with Barnes and Noble I am told - by the Publisher, and that has come through a paid for partnership for international book listings

It is easy to get a book onto Amazon if you are an American in the USA, but near on impossible if you live in Australia.

Robert

Ralph Daugherty

Oh, that's too bad. Thanks for the info, Robert. I have better sales on bn.com anyway. Trade paperback of Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy is at 58,478 now. Amazon is 1,419,921. Completely different ranking systems, but still, I'm not turning any meters on Amazon with trade papaerback or hardcover. ebook is doing phenomenal though at 3,492, while bn.com doesn't carry ebooks.

So again, sorry to hear of the difficulty being listed on Amazon. My understanding is that I had to be listed on foreign versions of Amazon, and I've seen the Japanese and German pages of it, and I don't know how that plays into it.

rd