HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Publish America

web master

Re: Publish America

I included the phrase "general interest" just for that argument. Some humorous or how-to books would be publishable based on just an idea. Nonfiction to me, means life story or personal commentary.

As far as general fiction goes, I don't buy it. I know there are more good writers than there are book quotas per publisher.

Nickie Fleming

Hi Sid!

I'm Nickie, and also a PA author. Just like Mr Amoroso, I'm quite satisfied with what PA did for me: delivering a nice trade paperback version of my book. For no fee! Looking at the rates some POD companies handle, I decided I would never pay a dime to have my books published. My second book will be published by PA later this year, and I'm already thinking of nr. 3

I don't recall who mentioned it, but PA DOES deliver free review copies to reviewers. You just have to ask them. This way, my book found its way to various RIO reviewers, and got some nice comments, which boost up sales, of course.

Dave Kuzminski

Yes, Nickie Fleming, but did the reviewers have to request copies or did PA automatically send out copies to the best reviewers? There is a difference. Traditional publishers don't have to be asked for a particular book. They send out advance copies to the reviewers as part of their marketing.

Besides, consider this. How will a reviewer know to ask for your book in the first place if the publisher doesn't send review copies around? Reviewers don't know what's coming out until the advance copies are made available by the publishers. Reviewers aren't psychic.

It's not up to the author to go around finding every possible reviewer especially when the author may not know which reviewers have the best distribution for reaching the public. If you as an author locate two reviewers who have a total of twenty readers between them, your chances of sales are significantly smaller than if your publisher, who should know which reviewers have the largest readership in the market, sent copies to those reviewers with the large readerships. That is why it's supposed to be the publisher arranging reviews. Instead, PA relies upon the authors contacting reviewers and begging them to request a copy from PA so they can do a review.

And guess what, Nickie? I haven't paid a single penny for having any of my books published. Not even for the copyright registration which PA makes its authors pay. My publishers handle everything. What did I have to do? Write a good book that appealed to the market niche that my publishers have targeted. So, you paid how much so far? $58 for registrations? Sounds to me like you're paying to be published.

web master

While I would recommend PA under certain circumstances,
    I would also encourage the average writer to look at other POD publishers for a second or third book. If you have the money to invest, some of the other companies offer more interesting packages.

I was impressed that some companies offer to put your book in hardcover and also offer discounted e-versions. Shop around a bit before "settling down."

Ralph Daugherty

Agreed, web master. Some cold water to splash onto this.

If the book is non-returnable, stores should charge up front to order. What's the big deal? This is standard practice for anything non-returnable anywhere. I often hear here about bookstores refusing to order POD's and other such smoke when I know good and well that many people order my POD book Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy from bookstores. Sounds like some spinning going on here.

The "free" publishing in exchange for seven year all-inclusive exclusive rights that PA requires is in exchange for about $600 that other POD's charge to prep that book, but $600 is a lot of money. I'm unemployed and barely came up with it, along with another $200 for a hard cover version as well. Ok, in exchange I have all subsidiary rights, am now trying to get a pulp paperback deal as we speak, I have a hardcover out there for sale as well as ebook, the ebook stays around 3,000 on Amazon, and I can cancel with 30 days notice to get picked up by a real publisher. What's the odds of that happening for me or any POD author? Slim to none. Most people won't miss the opportunity to check out of their 7 year contract with PA.

So I guess it all has to do with people being fooled with thinking their book will be in bookstores when it won't. "Traditional publisher" fools them, and PA should be kicked upside the head until they just flat out say whay I'm saying here. 7 years instead of $600. Got it, PA?

As for reviewers, no way will they review a POD. They can't even keep up with real publishers. And no one reads reviews anyway, so who cares?

Mya, I think that was supposed to be a compliment to you.

rd

publish or perish

Another thought

I've been wondering what the difference is between the quality (literary,etc) of an average PA book and a book published by a traditional publisher. I'm thinking of buying some PA books and finding out.

Dave Kuzminski

Re: Another thought

Publish or perish, why not just visit the websites of some PA authors? Quite a few of them have sample chapters on their websites that you can read for comparison.

sid gun

Publish or Perish,
    PA published two of my Novels in Verse. You can read excerpts of both books at my website:
    http://people.qualcomm.com/skatraga/

This might give you an idea what the difference between PA and other publishers is...
    Sid

publish or perish

Thanks Dave, I did buy a sci-fi book by a PA author the other day. I'll look into those websites.