HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: PublishAmerica

Dave Kuzminski

Re: PublishAmerica

Bruce, you purposely stated that you were a paralegal before giving your opinion on the contract thus making it a legal opinion. I asked for you to reveal your credentials. You have yet to do so.

All of your other maneuvers such as questioning my morals are poor diversions on your part as I don't intend to let this discussion be led elsewhere.

The question remains: what are your credentials? Prove you are or were a paralegal.

Bruce Robinson

Dave, just what are you expecting as proof???? And who are YOU to make such a request? OK, give me your address and I will mail you an old paycheck stub!!! Sheesh!
    Paralegals are not allowed to give out legal advice. Stating that a contract conforms to legal requirements is not considered to be a legal opinion, only mere fact and as such is allowed. I can research the law and report on previous interpretations of that law as reported in various digests. I can quote you the letter of the law as it was written or the case law, which is the courts interpretation of the law itself.
    As far as the discussion being led elsewhere, you have already succeeded in that.

Dave Kuzminski

Paycheck stubs don't cut it. You could have worked as a janitor for a legal business.

Proof would be in the form of your paralegal license number, what school you graduated from, and when. Surely you would know that much if you were actually a paralegal. As a paralegal, you ought to know by heart what kind of documentation would be sufficient. Now wouldn't you?

Now as far as that opinion you gave, you implied it was legal advice because you stated your qualifications as a paralegal in order to give more weight to what you stated. In essence, you made it into a legal opinion meant to influence those who don't know any better.

Kevin Yarbrough

Bruce, where does it say in their contract they they have a no return policy?

I have tried to order books from bookstores only to be told they could not order it because the books weren't in their system.

" They WILL send out preview and review copies "TO ANYONE WITHIN THE INDUSTRY THAT REQUESTS ONE." Again, no. Case in point, the author that wrote the book about beer. When a big beer magazine wanted a copy PA said no because they had sent out enough without positive reviews. Notto mention PA only sends out two copies.

Does PA claim to be like the big five? Yes they do. They even said so in the own words. Plus the ycliam to be the number one publisher.

As a paralegal you can not say if something is legal or not. Just like a nurse can't tell a patient that they have a medical diagnosis because they are not qualified to do so.

Dave Kuzminski

Keep in mind that reviewers don't know what books are being published. How could they? Consequently, it's up to the publishers to send out advance copies to reviewers so that a review can be available when the published book is released. PA's policy of requiring reviewers to ask for a book is putting the cart in front of the horse. It's just one more fact that proves the people in charge of PA are not traditional publishers despite their claims.

Christi Anne

What scares me the most about Bruce was his comment about how he does divorces and stuff for poor abused women.

After the senior partner of the firm fell ill and moved out of the country, I pursued my own interests, that of providing low cost divorce preparation for low-income women, especially those whose mates had either abused them or deserted the family.

What the heck is that about? You can't practice law without a license. According to my bf (an attorney in TX), every state requires that you graduate from an ABA accredited law school with a JD in order to sit for the state's bar exam - except for California; however, in that state, you have to take a "baby bar" after your first year of law school in California. Very few pass it to go on to take the big bar exam.

If you are practicing law without a license, I wonder how many lives you have screwed up.

Just an aside, before the rule in LA was passed that you had to graduate from an ABA school, remember there was that guy Leonardo DiCaprio played in that movie "Catch Me If You Can". In real life, that person studied for 2 weeks and passed the LA bar!

Bruce Robinson

christi;
    In California you can, as a paralegal, prepare forms for filing WITHOUT being an attorney. I was referring to those women who came seeking a simple uncontested divorce. In California, for an attorney to even consider filing for someone would cost that person a minimum of 700 dollars, more if there were children involved. The actual filing fees were only 50.00, waivable with proof of low income.
    My first one, in fact, was a woman who had two children by a man she was still legally married to, but had been separated from for four years and was wanting to marry a man she was currently living with. Needless to say, she was unable to. The MINIMUM retainer that she was able to negotiate in the San Jouquin valley area was 1500 because of the children. As an employee of Kmart and a single parent, she was unable to produce that sort of money.
    For those unfamiliar with the way the California court system works in those sort of divorces, the only time a person would actually stand before a judge would be at the granting of the divorce. All other proceedings are (or were, at the time I was working there) done by a mediator. This includes all division of property and visitation as well as maintenance payments and child support. An attorney serves no useful purpose in an uncontested divorce other than to milk the purses and wallets of those involved. The form packets available from the courts are clear and consise and explain all their rights and obligations clearly.
    All of the divorce papers that I filled out for these ladies were for those with abusive or absent spouses. Surely you cannot find any fault in my assisting them in obtaining their freedom from such situations and enable them to go on with their lives? I charged them a modest fee of 150 dollars for the preparation, payable at 25 dollars per month so as to not strain their resources. If you can find fault with that, then I must surely assume that you have never found yourself in their position.
    As far as your b/f in Texas, as an attorney, he should know that the laws differ greatly from state to state as to what has to be done by attorneys and what paralegals are allowed to do. Yes, I believe that California is one of the most lenient states, probably due to the huge case load of the courts.
    As far as your statement as to wondering how many women's lives I have "messed up", I would have to state that the number would be none, as my in-laws see these women on a constant basis, living in the same area, and have told me that every time they run into them, the ladies tell them to thank me next time they talk to me.
    Stop assuming the worst!! These boards are so full of negativism that I believe that I will stop reading them as they have served no useful purpose at all, save the venting of pent up hostility and frustration! Instead I think that my time will be spent much better in working on my craft and enjoying the fruits of my labor. The trolls can have these boards back. By that, I refer to those who have nothing better to do than hover over them, seeking a bit of "publisher roadkill" to peck at...
    Sincerely, B.L.Robinson