HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PublishAmerica

Anders Bruce

PublishAmerica

Yes, I am well aware that this topic has been well-covered in other posts. I read those posts and sent them a list of questions that they have not yet answered. They are curretnly considering my manuscript for publication and I really would like some feedback for them.

Basically, what I'm wondering is whether or not I should consider PublishAmerica should they accept my manuscript. While they claim not to be a Publich-On-Demand company, they do devote a large portion of their site to recruiting authors and are errily similar in their publicaiton process to iUniverse.

I'd like to know some details about authors with PA experiences from the past six months (I need current info) so I will be able to more easily decide whether or not to consider them as publishers of my novel.

Carol O

Re: PublishAmerica

They claim to not be a POD. They lie. What more do you need to know?

Anders Bruce

Thanks. I've looked up a few of their books.

Paperback: 112 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.32 x 8.48 x 5.56
    Publisher: Publishamerica; (February 1, 2002)
    ISBN: 1591299926
    Amazon.com Sales Rank: 2,724,286

That's the data on Amazon for one of them. I didn't even know Amazon had that many books listed!!! My iUniverse books are both about 1,000,000 in sales rank, and they've only sold about 60 copies each, so here is proof that PA does not market its books effectively.

Ralph Daugherty

I started last month at 2.3 million for paperback and 1.9 million for hardcover. I think that's one and two sales.

There would be no difference between PA and iU as far as marketing goes. They both do no marketing for free.

PA obviously formats and creates a cover for free, a $600 charge at iU. iU has non-exclusive, 30 day cancellation contract, PA has seven year tie up to recoup free $600 value.

You get what you pay for.

Of course others here say you should get paid, etc., but they have fictions that apparently can be brought up to date occasionally as the years pass while they query.

rd

working author

I've had two (2) books published/printed by Publish America. Big mistake. As you've probably guessed by now, it took a long time for me to believe all of the negative feedback concerning PA. However, I finally got the message. Therefore, I beg of you, do not ignore all the "Don't Publish With PA" warnings that are posted on the Internet.

To get a clearer understanding of what ex-PA authors have experience and are still experiening, please check other message forums, such as: www.absolutewrite.com, www.mindsightseries and even PA's message boards. If you take heed to their advice, you will NOT go with PA.

Pasted below is a thread that appeared on PA's Author Message Board a few days ago by one of their authors. Hopefully, this will play a big part in your PA decision process.

JMGBooks
    7/20/2004
    13:52:51
    Subject: And now...a depressing story

After posting earlier this morning about my sucess at setting up my first signing and how wonderful that was, I now have the exact opposite type of story.

[removed... I am not comfortable with entire posts from other forums being posted here. Hamish (WritersNet)]

Ralph Daugherty

That is short hand for "the books aren't in bookstores and therefore aren't legitimate". That's really all it comes down to.

The rest is quibbling over definitions. Thw notion of selectivity, publishers paying sales commissions for books that haven't been sold yet to writers so happy to get something they are oblivious to their lot in an industry that lives off their creativity, to whether one receives this sales commission in advance to none at all or pay to have the book published not knowing if any will be sold, is all quibbling over definitions.

If it is widely available in bookstores, it is published. If not, news people will not bother themselves with covering something only available online.

Someday this will change, but that day hasn't arrived yet.

rd

Ralph Daugherty

Of course the books can be ordered at bookstores as well as purchased online, and that is why it will change someday.

Just as there is no difference between ordering Random House and iUniverse online now, there is the same lack of difference when ordering at a bookstore.

When there are many success stories of people paying to publish their books because publishers can't be bothered, and as more books are ordered instead of stocked to cut down costs, the stigma will dissipate and news people and others enforcing the shun will deal with content when it is worth dealing with.

Most in queues say that is everything that didn't make it through the queue. I don't have time for queues and a multi-year process to get a story out. Maybe with science fiction it's ok, hoping the future in your story doesn't arrive before the book gets published. But not with something current.

rd

Anders Bruce

Thanks to all of you for the info!

Mya Bell

I've said this several times before and I'll say it again.

According to PublishAmerica's own figures, their authors earn an average of about $71 in royalties per book minus any marketing expenses the author may have incurred on flyers, postcards, long distance calls, travel, etc.

That's not counting the time the author put into writing and editing the book and promoting it.

These figures apply fairly well across the board, as far as I can tell, to other vanity and POD-published books. Bestseller POD books are as rare as hen's teeth.

How much is your time worth?

--- Mya Bell

Anders Bruce

Thank you all for this very useful info. I have come to the conclusion that I will not be using PublishAmerica (unless of course they have in the space of a few days completely revised their contract lol).