HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Gary Kessler

PA for the Record

Might be good to note that, Mark York's dumb fraud aside in signing an exclusive contract with PublishAmerica while the same book was in print with iUniverse, I do think this is yet another indication that PublishAmerica is a very bad publisher (which either doesn't know much about publishing--or doesn't care). PA published York's book a year ago, iUniverse put it out a long time before that, and both companies still are advertising that they'll fulfill on the book (although PA may have stopped advertising it). PA either does know--or should have known--that the book was already in print. But obviously they didn't/don't care, as long as they thought they could make a few bucks off it (but who knows whether either PA or iUniverse have sold copies). A reputable publisher will not do this.

The Late Mitchell Warren

Re: PA for the Record

Don't worry. I know you're anti-PA, Gary.

I don't think there's ever been a doubt in my mind.

Gary Kessler

Well, yes . . . certainly--but, I think, from objective assessment. But there would still be conditions under which I would suggest PA as the best option for a specific project.

Publius2

I don't doubt that based your bureaucratic amibgiuity of thought. You're cloudy recommendations versed in doublespeak will sucker more in every day. Congratulations.

B.L.Robinson

I would think that the main fault here would lie with the author, who submitted his manuscript to a publisher while still under contract to another. Kind of reminds me of the old snake-oil salesman mentality. Is it PA's responsibility to do a search on each and every submission that comes in? I know that they just added another office building and eight more editors,, but I think that at some point you have to rely on the scruples of the authors. So far I am pleased with my treatment at PA.

Publius2

Apparently you're just in the midst of the clueless period that in some cases never ends. The company has no scruples. That's the only lesson in this.

Take notice of the current banning of authors and bailout of authors with multiple books with them before they wised up. It's great to see.

B.L.Robinson

The current banning of authors was directly related to their behavior on other message boards. In one case the author had formed her own publishing company and was attempting to pull authors from those who are currently signed with PA. While still falling under the banner of free enterprise, her attempts would certainly draw immediate attention from any publisher.
    In the other, the author was speaking out very vehemently against PA WHILE AT THE PA AUTHORS CONVENTION! What did she hope to accomplish by this? Who knows, but at least she will be doing it elsewhere.
    All unprofessional behavior, to say the very least. If you have problems with your publisher, (and PA is not, by far, the only publisher that authors have problems with) then you deal with it and move on. Most of the problems that authors have with PA is because of the glitter in their eyes at finally getting their books published. They have big dreams of becoming famous and rich, and don't want to have to work for it.
    And shame on them. No free lunches here, sorry.

Publius2

Warning! Warning! Will Robinson! This is ludicrous. PA isn't real publisher and everyone knows it but you and the mopes that are left clinging to the sinking pirate ship. They're predatory vanity press, unprofessional, and untraditional in every way while claiming to be otherwise.

You're brainwashed and lack critical thinking skills based on this opinion. That's all I have to go on.

B.L.Robinson

I personally haven't experienced anything at all in my dealings with PA that would lead me to condone your statement that they are in any way predatory, unprofessional, or a vanity press. As far as untraditional, perhaps. Who is to say that is a bad thing in this day and age of the "big" publishers wanting to play it safe and huddle back with their big name authors? Of course, this is only my opinion. I have to wonder just a bit at your attacks not only at PA, but at the authors as well.
    Just because a person is published by PA or any other small publisher, does it mean that their work is of less value than any other authors? I beg to differ. I am sure some of them have been rejected by "traditional" publishers and turned to PA, but for myself, I chose PA for my own reasons. Not that I think my novel is of a lesser quality, or that it would be rejected by Baen or Penguin or ROC, etc. I have other novels that I am seeking to have published in the "traditional" manner, just to have that experience as well.
    I think one has to ask those whose works were picked up by major publishers only AFTER they reached a certain level of attention, after being published by either a vanity press or a small publisher. Ask them if they think that their venture was doomed, or stupid, or ill-conceived. I think you will recieve a resounding "Get outta here!"
    This is just my opinion, but I hold that the world is too full of nay-sayers and gloom merchants that take a certain delight in attempting to squash any sort of positive experience. If I have my book published by PA and I fail to work to make it the best that it can be, is it their fault, or my fault, or anybody's fault? You lose sight of the reason for having works such as these published.
    If you are solely about the money, then we have nothing in common at all. You are nothing but a businessman. I, on the other hand, am an artist and seek to do nothing more than to create. I really don't care if I make one single solitary penny on my book. I plan on selling them personally at cost, just to see my work perhaps bring a moments pleasure to someone, anyone. You, on the other hand, strike me as naught but a Scrooge, and your other postings here do nothing but reinforce that opinion.
    You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion as well. I simply choose to ignore it. Perhaps later I might feel the same way about PA. Perhaps not. We shall see, I suppose.

William and Miranda

Publius:

Just wanted you to know that stuff you've written has been copied and appears at Mark York's website. Did ya give him permission??