HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Roscoe

Eragon author featured in The Writer

In The Writer (March 2004)

Nice profile of Christopher Paolini, who sold 10,000 copies of Eragon, a POD book, before being offered a six-figure contract for the rights to Eragon and his next two books. Alfred A. Knopf is the new publisher of the book which became a New York Times bestseller.

BTW, does anyone know the name of the POD services used by Paolini?

Roscoe

Sheryl Nantus

Re: Eragon author featured in The Writer

I'd wager it wasn't any usual POD like XLibris/PA/IUniverse, otherwise they'd be using it bigtime to push it.

I don't know the facts, but I'd bet that self-published in this case truly means "Self-published" - as in, the parents sold the house and the car and paid a local printer and did all the work themselves. And with ten thousand sold, they deserved to attract the attention of a major house.

I doubt most of the "publishers" I've listed above have authors who have sold that many - still, a major investment by his parents beyond what most of us can even dream of.

jmo, ymmv.

Roscoe

Sheryl,

You may be right. But the article did say POD.

I initially thought it was self-pub in the traditional sense.

BTW, you make a good point about the POD companies referencing this in their promo copy.

Roscoe

Frank Baron

I thought I read somewhere that his parents owned a small press and did the printing for him.

A friend whose hubbie works at Random House just mailed me a copy of Eragon this week. Haven't started it yet though.

Sheryl Nantus

quite possible - I saw the article in the Writer as well; love that mag!

I just hope the wee lad doesn't burn out quickly with the stress of producing these books too fast and too much pressure on him...

and yes, I do believe that any of the "Named" POD's had printed it they'd be trumpeting it at the top of their lungs... why not?

but, good for his parents - a whole lotta cash to sink into their son's dream and it paid off...

Roscoe

Sort of like winning the lottery :-)

Hey, Sheryl,

How are things going with your books?

Have you started any promotional campaigns?

Roscoe

Sheryl Nantus

you're not serious.

given the treatment PA's been giving me lately, I've pretty well given up on my book - I'll let it rot for seven years before I encourage anyone to buy a copy from PublishAmerica.

Roscoe

Author: Sheryl Nantus (---.zoominternet.net)
    Date: 02-10-04 15:29

you're not serious.

given the treatment PA's been giving me lately, I've pretty well given up on my book - I'll let it rot for seven years before I encourage anyone to buy a copy from PublishAmerica.
    Yes, I'm serious.

I'd hate for you to give up on your "baby."

It may have had a complicated birth, but isn't it still worth saving?

I can only imagine how you must feel. But I'd hope you can do something besides giving up.

Good luck.

Roscoe

Sheryl Nantus

not at the price of having to work with PublishAmerica.

moving onwards and upwards... perhaps when the contract dissolves in six years I'll be able to resurrect it, but right now I'd rather burn every copy than give another penny to that company. Or give it away free...

hmmm....

*evil snicker*

Kasey Price

I read this book, "Eragon," and it's not very good. Seemed like yet another Tolkien knock-off. It was kind of impressive for a 17-year-old to write, but no work of literary genius or anything. Pretty formulaic fantasy stuff. He's got at least two more coming.

And I think his parents owned the publishing company. His mother acted as editor. They really pushed the "hey, a kid wrote this," angle, so I think that accounted for a lot of sales, in addition to the new Lord of the Rings fever, which has reignited an interest in fantasy of this sort.