HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    danilo Smajich

"Reasonable amount of time"...

...and what is a reasonable amount of time for an submission
    to be considered "publishable/marketable", through the evaluations of an Agent? A traditional publisher? A bookstore whose readership is more interested in "timely" works?

An author's concept is motivated more by emotion--the desire to place his/her works before an appreciative audience. While the Agent and traditional publisher is
    motivated by economics, eh?

So. Just what is "reasonable time" for ones works to be
    determined as "publishable/marketable"? In whose eyes?
    Finally, is therenow or has there ever been a standard established, and by whom? Consider, what values motivate the
    "standard".

Gary Kessler

Re: "Reasonable amount of time"...

Although the deadline can be heavily influenced by whether or not the book is perishable (and, if so, how perishable) and how vigorously it's being submitted, I think it's quite common for a book to float around on offer at least a year before it's picked up even when it's got highly favorable attributes.

danilo Smajich

Re: "Reasonable amount of time"...

Within a year after submission does seem reasonable, considering the volume of work that one editor has
    to go through at a traditional publisher. I assume that is even after the mss is submitted after a query is
    acknowledged favourably either through an Agent, or by an Editor.

This time frame certainly doen't apply to the POD mills,
    and because of no editing requirements, the publishing
    and, of course, acceptance, is much quicker. The negative
    side is marketing--or shall I say self-marketing--which is one big factor traditional publishers have over POD's.
    And, though Gary brings out several other pertinent
    reasons the POD has a long way to go to be considered
    over standard publishing, there is a niche for one to
    choose POD. A small, select group of readership.
    In essence, there is room for both, but a selective one of pragmatic choice.

Quite frankly, if a submission is not good enough to meet the criteria or standards of a traditional publishing
    editor, it should not be considered for POD and tough marketing. On the other hand, if one desires to reach only a select readership, than POD can be more favourable?
    [technical, academic etc].

To me, it seems editing and marketing/promotion are the key factors pro traditional. Or have I misinterpreted Gary?