HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Mitchell Warren

Publish America?

I've heard a lot of negative things about PA, and seen a lot of e-mail addresses and campaigns popping up.

But can anyone tell me what it is they are guilty of?
    Besides being a POD or a newly founded publishing company?

Did PA sexually harass some of you people or what??

Gary Kessler

Re: Publish America?

A good many of its former authors seem to feel like that's happened to them--which should give anyone considering them pause, as there are very few other similar operations that evoke such negative heat. There are circumstances in which I would recommend them, but only with full knowledge of all the ramifications--something that PA goes to great links not to own up to.

Candace Simar

I'd also like information about Publish America. Who owns it? Do the authors sell more than a few token books to friends and relatives? A friend of mine published with them and the final product is very nice although the book is pricey. Do they sell movie rights, etc. and make profit that way since the authors pay nothing up front?

John Laurence Robinson

Candace: nope, PA works strictly on volume. Take a huge slew of authors, have them each give PA a list of a hundred or so friends and family who perhaps would buy a copy of their work (with the conservative figure of thirty or so actually doing it) and you have the company making a tidy profit. That's essentially it. Nothing illegal, certainly, and as long as the person knows going in that there will be no editing or marketing of their book (because of the no discount/no return policy inherent in POD), they may even enjoy the process. But in the eyes of the traditional publishing world, that person is not considered published.

Mark York

I'm responsible for much of the current fuss, at the dismay, surprisingly, at least to me, of some of the most aggevieved PA authors. Why you ask? Fear. They've been suckered into it by sleight-of-hand language on the website implying that promotion will occur; review copies sent out on time and books will be stocked in bookstores physically. Well, once the contract is signed nothing of the sort happens.

They are a POD although they try to dodge that too. No returns as with all vanity PODs. The price is high and they make $5 a copy, while you get 8% of the net, not the cover or retail price. Like the advance i.e. traditional, $1. Printing costs are about $1.50 for them. See ligtning source for the schedule. If you hustle and sell 75 copies to family and friends an beg the bookstore to order a few cpiesfor a signing a copy may wind up in a store. That's not publishing folks. It is unfortunately literally true. They take the rights for 7 years. Yes 50% of the film rights. They figure it's worth the gamble in case of a freak accident and that actually happens. They've blackmailed authors for years and won't release them from the original 99 year contracts. Lately, many have come forward with 49 copies of stock on hand to get out. Then they order the books printed. One did it.

Dateline knows about him and is doing a story. People are afraid; I'm not. I've filed complaints at the FTC and Maryland AG, but the latter is lame and doesn't understand publishing so the slough it off. Willem Meiners is a crook in my view and guilty of deceptive advertising at the least. We'll see. Read more at www.absolutewrite.com

Mitchell Warren

I visited PA's website and read over their policy.
    And read over these posts. And visited the forum of a happy fellow named Fred Dungan.

Again, besides being a POD publisher, which limits their
    marketing, I still don't see what the big deal is.

As far as the blackmailing goes, well, most companies don't like the idea of trying to go back on a signed contract.

I think to be considered published in the traditional sense, is measured only by one's actual success. Any book that has an ISBN number can be ordered by any major bookstore. (So by that logic, shouldn't E-Publishers be considered scum of the earth since since no reads E-Books?)

But when can a writer say, "Hey I'm a published author"?
    When success is unquestionable.

Editors and agents are only impressed by results--meaning thousands of copies sold. If a traditional publisher bought your book, but only sold 500 copies and then never wanted to hear from you again, would that make you a published author? On the other hand if you could say I sold a 100,000 copies (exaggeration, yes) of my book using a POD company and despite no marketing effort from them, that would certainly give you the label of a real published talent.

I guess the only real concern then would be the editing process and the limits they put on artistic freedom.

Mark York

There is no editing process, except like other PODs which is all they are, they return manuscripts with added errors. If you don't see it, you're perfect for them. You're referring to Tom Wolfe, and those who just produce books that sell; that's an author. E-books didn't really take off did they? BN dropped them. That's not real publishing either. PA is in violation of ISBN too the e-book is sold with the same one as the paperback. They'll be busted for that if not more. Here's the deal: Vanities tell you what they are upfront. PA disguses what they are: a vanity press without the rights retained. That's the difference.

Mitchell Warren

lol well, if Willem Meiners is busted and I see his mugshot, I owe you a Coke.

Robert

Mr. York claims that Publish America does no editing at all or, even worse, returns manuscripts to authors with added errors. In my own case (all I can speak to, of course) I did not find his claims to be true. My book was well-edited, and the galley proofs I received for my final approval had no new errors. Also, there are no errors in the finished product, which is I believe is unusual irrespective of the publishing company involved.

Perhaps it's time to stop the wrangling about this company. To my way of thinking, for some authors and some projects, PA is quite acceptable. Beyond that, the rest of the arguments (both pro and con) keep covering the same ground and have become very tiresome.

Mark York

It is not unusual unless you're unfamilar with publishing. That is a myth. PA folks believe many myths and they need to. I could point out that mine had none either, but I gave them an edited book. Except they left out a table of contents. Even vanities do that. Cover the same ground and are tiresome. Yes it is. The mopes will keep coming no matter what anyobe shows them. PA counts on it. Your way of think is $1 printing. But you'll find that out soon enough. Sell 75 copies and Meiners has all he needs from you.