HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Kyla

to EN

EN, I am greatly enjoying your responses to these posts. I would like to see what you have to say about my writing. I have a few stories on stories.com. I just looked at them and see many things to change already, but I don't have time right now. Both are really in their first draft stage. Smoke Screen can be found at http://www.stories.com/main/view_ite...item_id=520751
    and A Different Kind of Paradise at
    http://www.stories.com/main/view_ite...item_id=520741

Be harsh (and constructive), but also realize these are rough pieces. Have fun! Kyla

Marc Phoenix

Re: to EN

Kyla,

"... Please do not lower yourself and share an opinion based on the garbage that spewed out of EN's fingers! If you are truly an Author you would take the time to read someone's work before making any such judgements. Your comments ...

What I'm trying to say is that the quality of material being published by PA is disturbing to me. I believe myself to be a decent writer (debilitating bouts of self-doubt not included), and I do not wish to be lumped with low-quality writers. ... "

are a product of ignorance. Educate yourself and visit the links below. By the way, I too am a very strong believer in Christ. I have also been approached by "Major" traditional house publishers, one of which was Thomas Nelson, Randomhouse, and Simon & Schuster. Their contracts were terrible!

http://fictionforum.net/writers/tool...erview-pa.html

Marc Phoenix
    www.authorsden.com/phoenix

Marc Phoenix

Food for some thought: Jamie Farr who is best known as 'Klinger' on the HIT TV show 'MASH' has just got signed with Publish America. Go to Publishamerica.com to read more about it. :-)

Marc Phoenix

Bill Logan

So we're supposed to think of PA as a legitimate publisher because a guy who's a lousy actor can't get a real contract as a writer? That's really loopy thinking, Marc. EN is right about you. You live in a dreamland.

PA is just another vanity press for people who aren't good enough to win advances from real publishers. Instead of asking for money upfront, PA makes money by selling copies to authors. Whether or not this is "required," that is the practice. In other words, you are paying PA to print copies of your own book for you. That's a vanity press.

Not only that, but you are getting taken, as you could arrange to have the books printed yourself at far less than the cover price.

In other words, Marc, you are not only a lousy writer, as EN pointed out, but a fool.

Andrew

PA

I think what PA does is \"hide\" the typical cost involved with a POD company in the price of the book. An average book at PA runs $16.95. That\'s $3-4 dollars more than other POD companies. There\'s your setup cost... In addition, their author discounts are horrible, for obvious reasons and that\'s a major complaint with their authors (so is customer service).

It really only costs PA about $100 to setup a new author. By tacking on that addition $3-4 a book, it doesn\'t take them much time to recoup their cost. Hence the 1000 or so titles.

Jake Crisp

Re: PA

I've kept up with this thread because one of my good friends is doing a deal with PA. He's a good, solid writer with a long track record of rejections. His deal with PA came about because of his frustration in getting a publishing deal with any of the major houses -- over and over he was told his books were good enough, but the timing was not right (whatever that means) or the house already had a similar story. Anyway, when I hear someone say a PA author turns to PA because their writing isn't "good enough" for the major houses, I have to laugh. In some cases, it's probably true, but what do you expect when 1100 titles are printed per year? There's going to be some turkeys. But there's going to be winners too. It's the law of averages. My guess is many of the PA books are actually quite good. Quality writers are overlooked by publishers simply due to the extreme glut of material and politically correct methods of choosing subject matter. Seriously, there is SO MUCH bad writing in the market being foisted on the public by the major publishing houses, there's not much sense in saying those who don't get published are undeserving. The truth is, many rejected writers are deserving as illustrated by the success of PA.

One more point. PA is NOT a vanity press and saying so does not make it so. If a writer wants to purchase his own books, that's his choice. PA is an alternative to an established system that is closed to many artists. What's so bad about that?

What I can't fathom is why so many posters on this thread seem bent on diminishing the merits of an alternative, especially when there is so much bad writing out there already. You naysayers are coming across as snobs.

Good luck to PA and their authors. With the sort of resistance I'm seeing here, they'll certainly need it.

Marc Phoenix

Bill,

Your post is quite entertaining! I'm smiling because of the fact that you aren't familiar with my writing nor my background in the literary field and yet you have expressed,

"...EN is right about you. You live in a dreamland. ... In other words, Marc, you are not only a lousy writer, as EN pointed out, but a fool."

I am an excellent writer in both the creative and fundamentals in the craft of writing.

Please, write a story and let us see if you can get published from Publish America. I dare you!

Marc Phoenix

By the way, next time take the time to visit my site and read my book, perhaps then your opinions may have weight. And down cower and take a few snipits from some of my reviews and twist their meanings on this board-much like EN has done.

Rebecca

I found this discussion fascinating. First may I say EN you are so very obviously gay. I could not care less if you think the very may be redundant. It is apparent that you have not bothered to read the material currently making the best seller lists published and promoted through traditional publishers. The rules of grammar are not understood, followed, or significant in the least to the vast majority of current popular authors. I suggest before making a snitty reply to my opinion that you consider if your elitist attitude and comments matter to the readers that purchase commercial fiction. In case you are having difficult relating to that group, I suggest that you are not part of that group. Additionally, before you take offense at the comment about you being gay, allow me to explain. I would be referring to the common vernacular use of the word and not the term meaning homosexual. Get a life, you have no idea what the book purchasing public enjoys. May I speak for them, as a member of that group? I enjoy fluff. Oh, and EN, before I go let me apologize in advance for any words I may have inadvertently misspelled, any comma or semi-colon I may have left out, or any other discretion I my have commited. I have a real life, and just finished working through the night, protecting and serving my local public. When I read I just want to be entertained and that's why I buy a book, not because there are thousands of copies in print versus tens or hundreds.