HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A

POD in this case?

Greetings,

1. I have completed a manuscript that targets a market with a potential annual readership of 1,000,000 in the US alone.

2. Moreover, this target does not necessarily step into bookstores. In other words, unlike heavy readers that regularly step into bookstores, peruse the shelves and find new books, if this target market buys it, it will be because it serves to help them, and not because it was on a shelf per se.

3. I work for a leading online publication. Even a small mention at the end of the article under my name may do quite well (assuming 1% will be interested in buying it, let alone actually buying it).

What I would appreciate your feedback on whether I should seek a POD publisher. After all, given the recurring nature of the target market, I would like to retain the rights. Also, I would market online fairly aggressively and do considerable personal selling to people that could sway the target market.

Once this book is available, am I wrong to assume that I could then secure a publisher for later books which probably have a lesser potential anyway.

Do you recommend POD in this instance or stil suggest a traditional route?

I would greatly appreciate your input. If I can help any of you, I definitely will.

Thanks

A

Gary Kessler

Re: POD in this case?

A: You don't give enough information on the book project for me, at least, to form any opinion on the best publishing mode for it. Just a couple of reactions to a couple of your comments, though:

Having a potential market of 1 million in the U.S. alone is a meaningless statement in the publishing industry. You actually have a potential market of somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 million readers in the United States (representing roughly the number in the United States who are able to read). Your actual potential market is limited to those under whose nose you can physically dangle an attractive (to them) ad for your book coupled with an easy means for them to purchase your book. It's just this vision of all those potential readers out there that starts leading the naive down the garden path of emptying their bank accounts into some shuckster's pocket. I'm not implying you can't muster a large market, just that you will have to do so--and should make a very realistic assessment of the chances you can do so.

Your retention of rights isn't determined by whether you publish by a traditional route or through a POD-only publisher. They are equally capable of grabbing all of the rights. You would have to watch that POD contract very carefully to ensure you were keeping the rights you wanted to keep. (And keeping them will doubtless increase what you have to pay up front for publication.)

In the current atmosphere, a tradtional publisher is unlikely to consider anything you produced through a POD-only publisher as published at all--so the only likely (favorable, at least) notice they'd take of it would be if you had sold gobs and gobs of your POD-published book. They're always pleased with evidence of prior success.

Lawrance George Lux

Re: POD in this case?

My sole comment consists in the nature of book sales, suggesting a market outside of Bookstore placement intrinsically misunderstands book marketing. Gary mentioned a potential American market of 180 million people. He omitted the fact hardly more than 1 million have purchased online, less than thiry thousand purchase books online consistently, and very few Readers enjoy purchasing books they do not already have in their hand.
    lgl