HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Gwen Cooke

I am a word processor/transriptionish

If any writer does need help in getting the work on paper,,,,I would love to do it for you. I would truly like to type someone\'s work. Experienced wordprocessor, medical background.

Nora Christie

Re: I am a word processor/transriptionish

Gwen:
    I have a 254 page, double-spaced mss. that's done on an old system and I can't transfer it. Could you give me a quote on the cost of retyping it in Microsoft Word 98? Thanks.
    Nora

Gwen Cooke

Hi Nora, thanks for responding.
    I will be glad to help you. You can be sure I am genuine and honest, and if you like you may "check me out on our work website" which is www.drduncan.com

Nora, I love to type, and have always wanted to "do a book" or papers, etc. A little bakground about myself......
    Presently I work for a couple of psychiatrists in BC, in Canada, and would do this work for you from my home computer.....with total confidentiality.

Before I quote you a price, I do want to be fair, and you can certainly perhaps send me a couple of pages just to try me out.
    Do you want this double or single spaced? I am curious as to the subject.
    What are you willing to pay? What are the going rates in your area?
    I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I just want to be sure, as you do!
    Thanks again for replying, I look forward to hearing from you.

Nora Christie

Gwen:
    I sent you another message but you may not have received it. I think the board had some problem. Please e-mail me directly at norachristie@aol.com.

Thanks, Nora

Jack Turner

I would suggest you look into scanning your manuscript. I had a 300 page manuscript written in an early version of wordstar which I couldn't convert into Word. I bought a Visioneer One Touch 8600 scanner from Tiger Software. It has an automatic document feeder and all kinds of OCR capabilities. The feeder can handle 20-30 pages at a time and feeds right into Word, with remarkably few errors in translation. I find that I use it for many tasks -- copying, faxing, email -- cost was about $300 as I recall. You can find it at tigerdirect.com.

Nora Christie

Jack:
    Thank you for that message about the Tiger Scanner. My ms. is also in an early version of Wordstar. I'll look into it. Does this mean then that the ms. would be accessible on disc to one's new system (Microsoft Word)? As you can see, I'm not too knowledgeable.
    Nora

Jack Turner

Sure. The scanner plugs into your computer, which is presumably running under Windows. You feed a batch of pages into the scanner and then all by itself it scans each page, runs it through the optical character recognition (OCR) program and then plants it in Word for Windows (which it opens.) When the scanning is completed you have a document in Word similar to one you would have typed. You can then edit, change type faces, print, save etc. exactly as you would with an original document.

Occasionally the scanner can't read a character and you have to make a coprrection. I have found remarkably few such errors.

Nora Christie

Thank you very much, Jack. My neighbor has a scanner and perhaps I can experiment before buying. Oh, the power of the machine! Gratias.
    Nora

Bly oxford

Jack, I have a 3100 Visioneer scanner. When I try to put anything into Word, the OCR makes a horrible mess. Do you know if there is a way I can turn that function off. I'm sure the 8600 is much better than mine, but the 3100 works fine on everything else but the OCR bit. At this point I hate to spend additional money, especially on a function when I don't understand how it is supposed to work.
    Thanks
    Bly

Trish

Hi Bly,

Just a suggestion, but it might be the OCR software. My scanner came with ReadIris which makes a horrible mess when taking documents into word. I purchased TextBridge Pro (Under $90) and have had wonderful results. There are a some excellent OCR programs out there that are inexpensive.

You might also try Cnet for shareware or demo versions so you can try it before you buy.