HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do

Jane Casey

What to do

What to do if you happen upon a peace rally in order to teach them why force is needed:

1) approach person talking about "peace" and saying there should be "no retaliation"

2) have brief conversation, ask if military force is appropriate

3) when he says "no," ask, "Why not?"

4) when he says, "because that would just cause more innocent deaths, which would be awful, and we should not cause more violence"

5) punch him in the face . . . hard

6) when he gets up to punch you back, point out that it would be a mistake, and contrary to his values, to punch you, because he would be just increasing the violence.

7) when he agrees that he has pledged not to commit violence, punch him in the face again . . . harder this time.

8) repeat steps 2 through 8 until he understands that sometimes it is necessary to punch back.

The JJJJJ's

Valerie Moreau

Re: What to do

here here.

Victoria Strauss

Jane--

I just wanted to let you know that I am personally offended by this post. It is crude, rude, and completely unnecessary. Are you assuming that everyone will agree with you (not so, I assure you), or do you think that in the current emotional atmosphere no one will dare protest such insults as long as they focus on people who don't follow the majority political line? I've been reading your hawkish posts for many days now, and haven't commented, in the interests of (what else?) peace; but this is too much. I hope we don't have to see such writings here in future.

- Victoria
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Victoria Strauss
    THE GARDEN OF THE STONE (HarperCollins Eos)
    Homepage: http://www.victoriastrauss.com
    Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/beware

Steve

Jane,
    This time, too much. You can have your political opinions, and I can disagree with every single one of them. That's fine; everyday I read your posts and stew but don't respond because it's your right to say what you do. That's a freedom we enjoy here, and yes it should be defended. But for you to to spout this kind of hateful, malicious tripe is offensive, insulting, ignorant and dangerous. Peace rallies are not about refusing to retaliate, or about insulting the military; just ask Senator John Kerry, if you want a peacenik with a military record to be proud of. They're about recognizing and reminding us that the people who suffer in war are not the ones making it--the Americans who died in NYC were not the ones who paid and trained Osama bin Laden to fight the Soviets then abandoned him, just as the Afghans who die in the bombing are not the terrorists who attacked us. It's a violent cycle which never touches those most responsible. Your suggestion to punch anyone who disagrees with you is fascist, and no better than any other terrorism. If, as you repeatedly tell us, you have lived through so much, you should have at least learned by now that violence brought on without careful consideration of the consequences only creates more violence--whether it's a bomb or a punch. Words like yours only bring more violence to those who don't deserve it.

You can call me pinko coward however many times you like, but one of us has learned some lessons from history and the other is spouting the same jingo nonsense that led to so many unnecessary wars (and, though you may not know it, there is a difference between jingoism and patriotism).

Jane Casey

Steve and Victoria

Steve and Victoria,

I didn't personally attack you. I do stand behind President Bush, his cabinet, our military and their families and the famiies who lost loved one in the terrorist attacks. I find your post insulting and disrespectful to these people. And where you disagree, I'm sure many will find the humor.

Jane

Jane Casey

Re: Steve and Victoria

Steve and Victoria,

I called my close friend. We laughed as I read her the 8 steps. She wanted to know the author so she could read more of their work. I don't know who the author is, my daughter sent the 8 steps. My friend and I laughed at how things come back to haunt. For I've repeatedly told my kids, they can't kick people in the shins and expect them to listen, but at times it was necessary for me to kick the little scoundrels in the shins to get their attention.

Then I read your responses to my friend. Victoria your "interest in peace" while slinging the "crude, rude, hawkish insults offended you" brought on hoops of laughter. My sides began to ache at her responses as I read your reasoning to peace, Steve, is calling me: "hateful, malicious, tripe, offensive, insulting, ignorant, dangerous, fascist, no better than other terrorist,words like yours bring on more violenc, jingo, jingoism" And your reasoning in the rest of your spiel about Nebraska's Senator Kerry, peacenik, those who died in N Y, the Afghans bin Laden and whether it's a bomb or a punch only brings on a cycle of violence." My friend is a retired professor who has taught at several major colleges and has at least 9 letters after her name and Elected President of International Psychologist. She became unusually expressive saying, "That's bulls..t. Those two need to take a course in logic 101."

You don't need to apologize for insulting my daughter's integrity. She's witty enough to recognize the post weren't addressed to you, but instead of you asking logical questions, you eagerly directed inflamitory responses to me in "The interest of peace," fulfilling the author's diplomatic point.

You made the evening a real hoot.

Jane

Valerie Moreau

Re: To everyone

I just thought the original post was nothing but a joke. A little laugh, not something to be taken so seriously. I'm a child of the 60's. A very peaceful person, can't abide violience. But I can and do laugh at a good joke. And that is all it was is a joke.

Jane Casey

Val,

Hey flower kid, can I come hide under your bed. You're so right, a joke my daughter sent and we laughed about. See why I need to be in my straight Jacket. I post a joke some one else thought was funny and wow look what happens.

Jane

Violet

I think Jane's post is in response to those out there that has voiced their open opinion about the US striking back at the the mean, heartless and crule people that backed those soulless men who flew their planes into the WTC buildings.

I for one say, bomb, blast,beat and snuff out the people behind it, and yes, innocent lives will be lost in doing this. But what about those people lost in those buildings and the brave men and women who rushed into those buildings in hopes of saving those trapped inside only to end up loosing their lives with them. Were they not innocent? Were the people inside those buildings who were doing nothing else than try to make a living for them and their families also innocent? Yes, they were.

Although I do not condone making jokes of such serious matters, I do see the logic of Jane's post and I so nothing offensive about it.

Violet

Hamish:WritersNet

Lets Stay On Topic

Can't see that this has anything to do with writing or, more specifically, alternatives to the traditional route into print. Can we make an effort to stay on topic please.

Can I also suggest that posting this sort of "joke" email is not advisable, especially when no context is provided.

Cheers

Hamish
    WritersNet